patricia999
1 Copper

Dimension 2400

My computer is dead, the only light is on the mobo. I took it to Best Buy and they said it was the processor. So I ordered a used processor......still dead.

I got no lights, no sounds, nothing spins, the switch doesnt make any noise when I try to turn it on. What can this be, mobo, power supply, what??

This is a Dell Dimension 2400  2.4 celeron.  I know it is old, but I would like to get it going again.

Please if anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Thanks...

patti5

0 Kudos
6 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Dimension 2400

I can be any number of things.  Power supply failure can fry everything leaving only the case.

Best Bet is to get another 2400 used from ebay and migrate your hard drive then ram.

If they are still ok they will work if they are fried then they will make the new system not work.

Used 2400 would be less than $100 at a used computer shop.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

For $200 you can get a much faster system.

Dell Optiplex GX280 Refurbished

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

patricia999

Does either the power supply fan, or case fan work, when the PC is connected to the outlet and powered on?

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Check the sequence of the four Diagnosic Lights on the back panel of the case.

The Dimension 2400 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
ieee488
5 Iridium

A desktop such as the Dimension 2400 will cost you $25-30 shipping alone in eBay that is on top of the cost of the computer.

It may or may not be worth it depending on the final price and on your financial circumstances.

0 Kudos
patti5
2 Bronze

No fans turning, no lights on the back at all. The switch does even make a noise like it came on.

Only light is the little green light on the mobo.

Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos
tgsmith
5 Tungsten

Patti5,

It definitely sounds like your motherboard may be fried.  However, you can manually test your power supply as follows.

Go here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/techov.htm#1105612

Note or print out the pin assignments on the power supply's motherboard connector.

1. Unplug the power cord from the 2400.  Open the case.  If the little green light is on, press and hold down the power button until the green light goes out.

2. Remove all i/o cards such as modem, video, etc..  Reconnect power cord.  Does the unit turn on?  If yes, then remove power, reinstall an i/o card, reconnect power and turn on the unit.  This can help you find which i/o card is defective.  If the unit fails to power up, proceed to the next step.

3. Unplug the power supply's motherboard connector, as well as power connectors to internal drives such as your hard drive, floppy drive, etc.

4.  Using a large paper clip formed into a "u" shape, short pins 14 (the only green wire) and 15 (a black wire) of the the power supply's motherboard connector.

5. Leave pin 14 (PS On) and pin 15 (COMmon) shorted, and plug the power cord back into the power supply.

6. If the power supply fan comes on, then the power supply is most likely good.  The motherboard is most likely dead and cannot be revived. 

Hope this info helps,

Tony

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Patti5

If the power supply checks out as a working unit, remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Please note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos