Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2013 13:00

Dimension 3100 Hard Drive and Graphics upgrade

I have a Dimension 3100 Desktop running with an Pentium 4 and 2GB of memory. The bios says its Version A03 that's running and the Dell system is a DV051.  I want to rum Win 7.0, but the hard drive size ( which is 80GB) must be increased and the graphics card needs upgrading to a Direct X 9 compatibility.   I tried to upgrade to version A04, but I got an error saying Windows prevented upgrade form desktop executable file.

Question:  How big a SATA drive will the current bios recognize?? Suggestions?  Any recommendations for a graphics card?  I have a PCIe X1 and a PCL slot still open.  The monitor is a VGA input, Viewsonic VA800 LCD.  I want to upgrade before MIcrosoft abandons Win XP.  Money is very tight, otherwise, I would buy a new PC. Thoughts?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 8th, 2013 13:00

tonydv

The Dimension e310/3100 can support SATA hard drives up 2tb in size.

Regards to the graphics card, PCI cards are usually low end.

The following PCI card has Direct x 9.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130477

The following card has Direct x 11 compatibility:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139070

But, you may need to upgrade the default 230w PSU to a minimum of a 400w unit.

More PCI cards can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048%20600007853&IsNodeId=1&Description=PCI%20Video%20Cards&name=PCI

Bev.

26 Posts

October 8th, 2013 16:00

Thank you, Bev.

Wow. 2TB is huge.  Thanks for the graphics card suggestion, too.  One clarification though is whether or not PCI 2.1 is compatible with my PCI slot, since I assume they are version 1.0 or does the card simply run at a slower rate?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 8th, 2013 17:00

tonydv

You are welcome.

Yes, the PCI card is compatible, the e310/3100 is PCI 2.3.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 8th, 2013 19:00

Thank you, Bev.

Wow. 2TB is huge.  Thanks for the graphics card suggestion, too.  One clarification though is whether or not PCI 2.1 is compatible with my PCI slot, since I assume they are version 1.0 or does the card simply run at a slower rate?

If you're going to go to the expense of a new video card, I suggest a Sapphire 6450 PCIe x16 coupled with the Startech adapter. The NVidia 6200 is eight years old and woefully underpowered compared to modern cards. (The PCI cards require special "bridge" chips, as their GPU electronics were designed to work with the PCIe bus.)

I've tried the 6450 with the Startech adapter in a Dimension 3100 and can confirm that the combination works as advertised. Being PCIe, the Sapphire doesn't need special drivers and support will continue for years to come.

26 Posts

October 9th, 2013 01:00

Thank you  for your very interesting suggestion.  While the 16X adaptor would add to the cost, the superior board may be the way to go. The question is whether I need the better board for a short term (2 years or so) fix to just run Win 7.  The Pentium 4 is getting long in the tooth, so I know a new PC purchase is in my future.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 9th, 2013 19:00

Thank you  for your very interesting suggestion.  While the 16X adaptor would add to the cost, the superior board may be the way to go. The question is whether I need the better board for a short term (2 years or so) fix to just run Win 7.  The Pentium 4 is getting long in the tooth, so I know a new PC purchase is in my future.

In the event you get a new desktop, you could move the video card over.

The 6200, being eight or nine years old, has minimal driver support and antiquated features. It was a budget card in its day. Meanwhile, the 6450, a state-of-the-art budget card of today, is considered slightly better in performance to the 6800GT, a high-end card of 2005: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=471&gid2=47&compare=radeon-hd-6450-vs-geforce-6800-gt

You can speed up the 3100 considerably by using an SSD as a boot drive, and if you buy a new desktop (or even laptop), you can move the SSD over. (Note that most new PCs are not sold equipped with SSDs.) An SSD is the single biggest performance boost you can add to an older machine, and the boost will be so noticeable it will be like having a new computer.

26 Posts

October 10th, 2013 09:00

Thanks sincerely rdunnill for your comments.

I am sold on your argument. I will be getting the 6450 card and adaptor, but I must change out the power supply first.  According to bev in her reply and your game site reference, a bigger 400W minimum supply is needed (graphics card draws 27W  alone and my supply is way under 300W).  A power supply upgrade is therefore needed first.

I have seen how fast SSD drives are and I agree this would transform an older PC, but I don't think I have the cash right now.  Prices may continue to drop though as PC vendors use them more frequently as the boot drive in their systems.   I need to wait till prices drop to much less than $1 per gigabyte.

52 Posts

October 15th, 2013 14:00

I'm delighted that tonydv has raised this query cos I was going to do so! This is a really serious issue for Dell Dimension users whose computers have run perfectly fine for years on Windows XP. We will be in for a nasty shock because we will NOT - according to both Dell and Microsoft - be able to run them on Windows 7 when XP support is withdrawn in about 4/5 months' time. 

It looks to me as though we have two choices:(1) buy another computer (massive expense) or (2) see if we can somehow upgrade our existing hardware and software to a level that can cope with Windows 7.

Dell's info about upgrading for Dimension customers is IMHO worse than useless! :emotion-6:Dimensions simply aren't listed in the models of desktops capable of being upgraded, leading us to conclude that they can't be upgraded. Instead we are passed on to Microsoft who are almost too busy plugging Windows 8 but if you dig around you will find a  Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor that assesses your computer.

And this is where you hit a big snag! :emotion-42:According to MS, my computer which is virtually identical to tonydv's setup, has only two problems:  (1) the graphics adapter won't support Aeroface (whatever that is); and (2) the driver for the Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family is inadequate
No mention of the need for a bigger hard drive (mine is only 69GB), or anything else.

What we need is AUTHORITATIVE and RELIABLE guidance on whether we can upgrade and if so the likely cost.
 I'd really appreciate other forum members views and guidance but please note, I'm not a teccie so the sort of in-depth technical discussions will just sail straight over my head.

Thanks for reading & look forward to your views!

26 Posts

October 15th, 2013 16:00

Thank you "whatamidoing" for your deeply concerned input. 

I should explain that the Hard Drive requirement by the Upgrade Advisor was because I did not have 16GB free for Win 7.   I am running too close to the limit as it is right now (69GB full on the 80GB drive)).  However, since this will be a clean install of Win 7 after all, there is no mention how much space is needed, when Win 7 replaces Win XP's files on the hard drive.  With SATA II drive prices around $40 for 250 GB, I figure it makes sense to upgrade anyway.  The hard part is going to be  cloning the smaller drive to a large drive, so MS Win 7 Upgrade software sees the XP files it needs to see before it will install.  Please note that it is a clean install and all files are deleted.   If one does not clone, a full boot version of Win 7 is $100 more than the upgrade price. 

The graphics upgrade is a must from what I have read From the conversation so far, one can either go with a  PCI graphics card (older technology) or a PCIe card with an adaptor combination.  No way to get the DirectX 9 compatibility that the Win 7 Aero interface requires from just upgrading the video driver.  Like you, I am not a computer whiz, so any input here is appreciated.

I was shocked to see the need for a new driver for the Intel Express Chipset you mentioned. On re-examination of my Windows Upgrade Advisor Report, you are absolutely right.  WE need a new updated driver.  Happen to know where to look for a driver that will pass the Windows 7 compatibility??  Let's hope the Dell community helps out here.

Additionally, be aware that the Dimension 3100 has a rather anemic 230W power supply for a tower design.  It has been recommended to me to upgrade to a 400W supply at a minimum,  before I add the larger hard drive (while keeping the original 80GB as a spare) and/or adding a graphics card that will draw more watts.  Since these are old machines with many hours of use, it would not take much to burn out the old supply.

So if we start adding up all the hardware upgrades needed, the labor involved and the cost of the Win 7 Upgrade Retail version, it makes me wonder if buying a newer "old" machine might not be better.  It all depends on your budget.   Like you, I can't afford a new machine right now, so I am exploring all options, even getting a refurbished tower from anyone including local mom and pop computer stores.

Finally, I agree it has been disgraceful how Microsoft has been pushing Win 8 on their website, when they must know a majority of computers can't run it.  Even finding a price for Win 7 is a real chore on that website.  Dell's equally poor treatment of their long time customers like me by not providing authorative upgrade information makes me wonder if there is any real advantage to buying a Dell computer.

26 Posts

October 15th, 2013 17:00

Ok.  Upon further inspection,  it looks like the Intel Express Chipset driver discussed above involves the on-board video graphics according to the Dell Upgrade website.

I presume using a Win 7 compatible graphics card instead and either turning off this video in bios or not using this motherboard vga output means getting an upgraded driver is not necessary,

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 15th, 2013 19:00

Additionally, be aware that the Dimension 3100 has a rather anemic 230W power supply for a tower design.  It has been recommended to me to upgrade to a 400W supply at a minimum,  before I add the larger hard drive (while keeping the original 80GB as a spare) and/or adding a graphics card that will draw more watts.  Since these are old machines with many hours of use, it would not take much to burn out the old supply.

If your power supply is in good working order, you don't need to change it to upgrade the video card and hard drive. I had my 3100 working with a 6450 PCIe, 120gb Solid State Device and 4tb Seagate hard drive, all with the stock power supply. I don't know why people keep harping on 400-watt power supplies; I just don't. They are NOT necessary.

Regarding Windows 8, after I replaced the video card, my 3100 had no trouble running it. Heck, it even played Blu-ray discs via an external USB Blu-ray drive.  If you move now, you can get Windows 8 Professsional for $85 and qualify for a free update to Windows 8.1 on the 18th.

Regarding the onboard video, just disable it in Windows once the discrete video card is installed and forget about an updated driver, as it does not exist.

52 Posts

October 16th, 2013 04:00

My thanks to tonydv for his helpful response and to rdunnhill for entering this debate. I'm uncertain whether I speak for tonydv or not on this as well, but can I please make the following points:

(1) I want to upgrade to windows 7, not windows 8

(2) I suspect there are huge numbers of people out there like tonydv and myself with Dell Dimension PCs who face this dilemma of whether an upgrade or a new computer offers us best VfM

(3) The issue of whether a new power supply required just typifies the dilemma we face. WHERE IS THE AUTHORITATIVE GUIDANCE ON UPGRADING DELL DIMENSION PCS?  If it can't be done for a reasonable price, then for heaven's sake, Mr Dell, have the courage of your convictions and say so! If it can be done, then tell us specifically what is needed in layman's terms and the likely costs involved. Good grief this is NOT rocket science.

(4) Please note that I wrote to Dell's UK Head Office about this some weeks ago. Guess what? My letter has been ignored - not even an acknowledgement. For that reason alone, I'm tempted to shop elsewhere for a new computer. I'd rather not, cos my Dimension has been with me for the past 7+ years and hasn't once let me down.

(5) Could someone from Dell with the necessary technical knowledge and ability to express it in layman's terminology please get involved in this discussion as it would be a shame if the company loses more customers this way.

52 Posts

October 16th, 2013 04:00

Thanks for this helpful response tonydv. Please see also my reply to rdunnhill. I'm afraid that the more technical info in your response is way over my head but what is clear is that the company that sold us these PCs is, currently, either incapable or unwilling to assess the feasibility of upgrading them to cope with Windows 7.

To my way of thinking, this is an appallingly irresponsible and uncaring policy. The sooner it is changed the better not just for us as customers but for the Dell company too. Surely there is some way that we can get a competent Dell teccie to advise via this forum? At least that's a start in the right direction?  If they refuse, then I think we take that refusal into account in assessing where to buy another PC!  What do you think?

26 Posts

October 16th, 2013 13:00

Thank you whatamidoing for your efforts to get Dell's brass to listen.  I think, however, that a decision was already made...there being NO authorative "Dell technical support" Win 7  upgrade advice on this model is evidence that Dell has decided not to support their customers.   Like Microsoft, their response is simply "buy a new Dell".  Our thanks must go out to people like rdunnill who went to the effort and expense to figure out what was needed for the upgrade and are willing to give up their time to help us.

I have been a Dell customer since 1999.  At that time, I even authorized the purchase of Dell servers, desktops, and laptops for a startup telecom company of 300 people.  We were happy with the purchases at the time, but my experience with my home machines (Two Dell Latitude laptops and the Dimension 3100 desktop) now have made me re-evaluate that position for any future computer purchases, both personal or professional. 

I now also own two older Toshiba laptops.  I hope my experience there is better, but I suspect the industry is hurting for PC computer sales so badly that  it wants to force newer models down our throats.  I see why that's the case for some people like software developers that hate writing new code for old systems that are backward compatible, but sometimes developers must realize that our current systems are doing what they were meant to do just fine. They must simply give us software that we want so badly that upgrading at an expense makes sense for me personally and for a company as a whole.  Forgive my Luddite sensibilities, but a "touch screen" desktop is not what I must have to get any work done.  A keyboard and mouse works fine for many, many applications.

26 Posts

October 16th, 2013 13:00

Ok... I am impressed with your system and also a bit confused.   Perhaps people have been "puh puhing" the smaller power supply too much (Including a youtube video), so maybe you are right, since you have so much hardware on the 3100.  But the Win 8 install has me confused.  Here is what the Win 8 Upgrade Advisor says about my system:

Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
Your screen resolution isn't compatible with snap
If it's possible, change your screen resolution to at least 1366 x 768 to snap apps.
Microsoft Interactive Training
not compatible
Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
Microsoft Corporation, Version 11.0.8173.0
not compatible
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003
Microsoft Corporation, Version 11.0.6458.0
not compatible
Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Corporation, Version 4.3.215.0
go to app website for help

Intel(R) Network Configuration Services

go to app website for help

Intel(R) PROSet for Wired Connections
Dell, Version 9.20.0000
go to the app website for help
There are many additional programs that says for one  to go to the app website which I presume means a upgrade of some type is needed
I am not so worried about  MS Office 2003 and MS Security Essentials upgrades.  I have Office 2007 on disk ready to go and Security Essentials probably has a upgrade for Win 8.
But what is this PC's Boot firmware they are talking about and it is a real problem?  Did you do anything to resolve it?  What is "snap" and do I really need the much higher screen resolution?  What screen resolution are you running with your Dell?   Did you also upgrade the Intel Network and Intel PROSet device drivers? 
Finally, Win 8 Pro for $85. Great price for the upgrade? price, but that presumes you had Win 7 installed. The 32 or 64bit version?  Where may I ask?
As you see above, there are others out here in the wilderness needing a Dimension 3100 shepherd...:emotion-9:
No Events found!