Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2009 10:00

Dimension 3100 will not boot after installing new video card

I recently purchased a GeForce FX 6200 256mb PCI video card to upgrade my Dimension 3100 (a card Dell said was compatible with my desktop btw...). After installing card the computer will not boot up, will not come on at all, the power light just blinks orange. I have tried everything I can think of, disable onboard video, tried a different PCI slot (took out my firewire), installed drivers, etc. Nothing is working, it will not come on until I take the card back out. The only possible reason left I can think of is that another website selling this card says it requires atleast a power supply of 250w, my 3100 only has 230w. Even though Dell lists it with other cards compatible, will this make it not work? I am left now with returning this one unless someone knows of another possible solution I can try. Any help would be greatly apprecated.

4.6K Posts

March 15th, 2009 13:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I very much doubt it's a PSU issue tbh? 

Older cards like the FX6200 are not very power hungry card at all, and 230w should be more than enough?

Do you (or a friend) have another system you could try the card in, just to rule out the possibility of it being DOA?

2 Posts

March 15th, 2009 14:00

I actually did that after I posted yesterday. Tried this card in my dad's system, worked fine. Then tried one of his cards in mine and it worked fine. I am completely stumped at this point. Thanks for the reply.

No Events found!