Not applicable

Dimension 3100 will not boot after installing new video card

I recently purchased a GeForce FX 6200 256mb PCI video card to upgrade my Dimension 3100 (a card Dell said was compatible with my desktop btw...). After installing card the computer will not boot up, will not come on at all, the power light just blinks orange. I have tried everything I can think of, disable onboard video, tried a different PCI slot (took out my firewire), installed drivers, etc. Nothing is working, it will not come on until I take the card back out. The only possible reason left I can think of is that another website selling this card says it requires atleast a power supply of 250w, my 3100 only has 230w. Even though Dell lists it with other cards compatible, will this make it not work? I am left now with returning this one unless someone knows of another possible solution I can try. Any help would be greatly apprecated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
5 Iridium

Re: Dimension 3100 will not boot after installing new video card

Welcome to the forums emoticon.Yes.title

I very much doubt it's a PSU issue tbh? 

Older cards like the FX6200 are not very power hungry card at all, and 230w should be more than enough?

Do you (or a friend) have another system you could try the card in, just to rule out the possibility of it being DOA?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Dimension 3100 will not boot after installing new video card

I actually did that after I posted yesterday. Tried this card in my dad's system, worked fine. Then tried one of his cards in mine and it worked fine. I am completely stumped at this point. Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos