Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2010 21:00

Dimension 3400s Motherboard

How do I know if the motherboard is burned out?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 12th, 2010 21:00

exsls

What makes you think the motherboard is fried?

Please check the model, as I cannot find a Dell 3400s desktop listed.

Bev.

50 Posts

May 12th, 2010 23:00

exsls

What makes you think the motherboard is fried?

Please check the model, as I cannot find a Dell 3400s desktop listed.

Bev.

I am sorry, it is a dimension 4300s; when I turn the computer on nothings turns on, the motherboard lite is on and also the fans  but nothing else, the diagnostic lights are also off. I already tried disconecting the cd-drives, etc. remove and replace the memory cards, disconect and reconect all the accesories, the hard drive is not turning so all that makes me think that it is a motherboard problem. Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2010 07:00

exsls

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive runs, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

50 Posts

May 13th, 2010 14:00

Thank you, I will try your suggestions. OK, so far I jumped the green wire to the black and without powering the system both fans (the power supply and psu) came on but not the hard drive; I reconnected the 20-pin power connector to the motherboard and both fans and the hard drive turned on when I powered the system; of course no beep codes nor diagnostic lights worked. Now I have a question, is it possible for the fans and the hard drive to work even if I have a faulty power supply? I would not think so but just making sure, I am confused to the fact that the fans worked (not the HD) without having to power the unit.

Eny

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2010 14:00

exsls

Usually when the power supply has failed the fans and/or the hard drive do not run, but for the hard drive to run, the system must be powered on.

But, as I have already Noted 'The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply'.

Bev.

50 Posts

May 13th, 2010 16:00

Well I removed everything but the kitchen sink (just kidding) and still no beeps and diagnostic lights so I guess it  needs a new motherboard, the computers is old so I don't think is worth fixing it. I want to thank you for all the help. Best regards!

exsls

50 Posts

May 13th, 2010 16:00

OK, according to your instructions I should be able to power the unit when I jump the 20-pin connector but here again the fans turn on when I plug the cord without powering the unit , the HD don't  (when I plug in the cord) and when I press the button to power the unit it won't turn the HD on. I just want to be sure the psu is working. I am going to asume the psu is working and will go to the next step.

exsls

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2010 17:00

exsls

That's a bummer, but I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!