peeshy111
Copper

Dimension 4500, Universal Serial Bus error and SM Bus Controller Error, They both show up with errors in device manager, HELP

i tried remvoing the usb driver and the sm bus controller and rebooted and attepted to let it automatically install, i chose the standard pci to usb driver and installed the usb, then it told me that it wasnt working properly. then went to intsally the SM controller, but i dont know what driver to use to install it. any help would be appreciated!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ianac
Copper

Re: Dimension 4500, Universal Serial Bus error and SM Bus Controller Error, They both show up with errors in device manager, HELP

I have got exactly the same issue with the SM Bus controller. The USB one went away by allowing XP to look on the internet for the appropriate driver, but I cannot find out what the SM Bus controller is. I thought it might be something I have installed, but since you have the same issue that is unlikely. Have written to Dell tech support to see if they have any answers??
0 Kudos
bobbyjak
Silver

Re: Dimension 4500, Universal Serial Bus error and SM Bus Controller Error, They both show up with errors in device manager, HELP

You need to install the Intel Chipset drivers..
0 Kudos
NVRambo
Platinum

It does indeed sound like the 845 chipset drivers.  The odd thing is that XP usually recognizes and installs the drivers during installation - unlike Win9X and Win2K.

This would seem to be a bit unusual.  XP Pro installs have detected and installed chipset drivers on my mobile 440BX, my 815E, and my SiS645 systems.

Something is screwy if these 4500's aren't installing natively in XP.

0 Kudos
DELL-Karell
Diamond

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The chipset drivers are not native to XP.
You have to download and install them.
They are located here. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

How do I install the Intel 800 Series Integrated Chipset drivers in Microsoft® Windows® XP

0 Kudos
curtherrin
Copper

I'm having the same prolem. The sectors in my computer were so conjogulated and the system was so slow I decided to erase the hard drive. There were also a lot of system files which could not be defragged. I also have the 4500 bought in 02. When I reloaded the drivers from my CDs, mine aoso showed the SM & USB controlers to be empty of drives. When I reloaded the chipset, it gave me a list of instructions to follow to make install the controllers myself. It stated, and I'm only copying this to you because I get a message that the pages you put for "How do I install the Intel... and They are located here", comes back and says the page you requested is not available or something. So, with that said, the instructions I got says, "From Device Manager right-click on the Universal Serial Buss (USB) Controller with the Yellow Question Mark next to it. 2.) From the drop down menu select Properties, click on the Driver tab and select Update Driver. 3) From the Hardware Update Wizard screen select the Advanced option and choose Next. Mine did not have a Next button. 4) From the next screen deselect all options except for Inclde this location in the search, browse to the location in which the driver files were extracted, select the EHCI Package folder and choose Next for the files to be installed.   After many minutes of searching ever file I finally found these files, then I had to manually figure out which ones I had to use to get them to install. And I'm not sure if I installed the right ones. 5) By choosing Finish the first part of the installation is complete. Important! You must complete Step 6. 6) Navigate to where the extracted files are located, from the QFE folder execute Q31270_WXP_SP1_X86_ENU.EXE and follow the onscreen instructions. Reboot system to complete installation. NOW, I'm going to say this is quite exhausting! I tried this like 4 times with no success. I even tried to re-install everything like 3 times just to see if maybe the CD would do it for me automatically. No way. I'm also having a lot of problems online with pages not loading right. Getting a lot of Windows has experienced a problem and needs to shut down messages, then it shuts me down out of the internet. My browser now needs updating because my CD is from 10 years ago. I can't download any upgrades to my browser or anything. I can't even get to Windows updates because it redirects me to the Microsft upgrade browser page. Please help me get these controllers under control and maybe help ith the rest.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

I strongly suggest you download and install Windows XP SP3. Afterwards, install Internet Explorer 8. By then, you should be able to get to Windows Update; install all the updates pending there.

Afterwards, I suggest you install Firefox and then visit Intel's automated chipset software update site.

Let us know how it works out either way.

0 Kudos