Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2008 17:00

Dimension 4500 Won't Power Up

My 6-year old Dimension 4500 P4 has worked flawlessly until the past couple of weeks. I pushed the power button as usual and the front light lit up dimly, but no power to anything. Pulled the power cord off, waited a minute, plugged it back in and it powered on. It worked OK. I turned it off with Windows XP shut down as usual. Next day, turned it on, same thing. It took a while to come on. Worked OK. Shut it down. Next day it wouldn't start period. Had a tech come out. He said it was the motherboard since there was a green light lit inside on the MB (or power supply?) and he checked the PS. I really want to fix this computer. I know it won't be financially wise, but I want to be able to copy all my floppies and zip drives onto CDroms. So, could it be something besides a MB? Dell said a MB was $475 refurbished. Don't you love their pricing? Please suggest other causes and if I need a MB, another supplier.

3.4K Posts

November 19th, 2008 18:00

Hello,

If you really need a motherboard look here. Less than $100, just search for Dell 4500.

25 Posts

November 19th, 2008 20:00

Thanks for the link. That may be the place my tech said he could find one for $100 or so. He probably quoted me some markup. Still, for that price, it's worth giving it a try. Appreciate the quick reply.

November 25th, 2008 14:00

I'm having the same problem with a 2400. Did a new MB fix it?

Thx,

Steve

32 Posts

November 25th, 2008 14:00

It could also be a dead CPU. So if a new MOBO doesn't fix it than you're looking a dead CPU.

6 Posts

December 15th, 2008 08:00

I have same PC (Dell Dimension 4500) with the exact same problem. I don't think this is CPU issue. I'm thinking most likely this is PSU problem. Did you replace your Power Supply on Dell Dimension 4500? Which one did you get and where? I'm looking for replacement PSU under $30. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2 Posts

December 21st, 2008 21:00

My Dimension 4500 is acting up as well. There are days when i try to turn the computer on, it turns on, then there are days when it doesnt turn on. I do see a light coming from the power button, can't really make it if its yellow or green. can someone help me. i want to fix this problem ASAP! is it the MB or the Power Supply? Any suggestions?

6 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 13:00

My Dell Dimension 4500 was acting just like yours, and later it just died. I have replaced Power Supply (I've got Echo Star 480-Watt for $25 from GearXS) I had to cut a piece of metal at the back of PC to make it fit, since this PSU has outlet on the bottom (little diferent than original Dell PSU_. It's been working perfectly for a week. 

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 14:00

okay...so its probably the power supply huh? i just don't want to buy/fix something if its not the real main problem. thanks! i've been looking at the power supply compatible with dell. but im not sure if i should get it or not. its called the Silencer 500 Watts from PCPower.com...it says its compatible to dell computers, so maybe it'll fit perfectly? should i just go ahead and get those plus it comes in other watts too. thank you.

25 Posts

December 24th, 2008 07:00

Well, bought the one at AscendTech for $78. Listed as 2P997, but they substituted a different one. Wrong one! I had to pay return shipping and they were out of the right one. Still waiting for credit card refund. These mobos have dried up. I bought a used one and waiting for it to ship. I'm not going to be a happy camper if the power problem something else. Next time, I'll do what others have recommended: junk it and buy a new computer. Not worth the hassle. Seems like Dell doesn't care much about helping their customer base with parts that are reasonable. They just want new boxes going out the door. Dell, like everyone else, is thinking short term.

No Events found!