Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2008 21:00

Dimension 4550--Memory Usage

How do I figure out how much memory I am using, so I know if I need to upgrade?  I know, a dumb question from someone who doesn't know anything about computers.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.:emotion-59:

4.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 04:00

I can tell you right now that with only 256 MB of memory, you do not have enough to operate efficiently.  Go to www.crucial.com and run the Scan My System tab to get memory recommendations for your system.  I would recommend not less than 1 GB for an XP system. You don't necessarily need more than that unless you have many windows open at once or run intense video applications.

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 11:00

Hello,

I agree 100% with the first response.

To find information including how much memory is installed, you can right click on "My Computer" and then on "Properties" in the pop up that appears. You can also find a wealth of information by using the free program Belarc Advisor. You may want to read the memory pages at my web site listed below to find out the importance of only buying model specific memory for any Dell computer.

590 Posts

November 29th, 2008 07:00

Note the maximum memory for your Dimension 4550 is 2GB, not 1GB as Dell's documentation states or what is listed on most memory company's websites.  See http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/desktop/dimension-4550-maximum-memory-2gb-not-1gb.aspx, which lists compatible memory part numbers for the major memory companies for the Dimension 4550.  Since your system has a 533MHz Front Side Bus (FSB), you need PC2700 memory. 

I would buy a 1GB memory stick so you can add it to the 256MB you already have.  (If you buy one 512MB stick you'll only have 768MB, if you buy two 512MB sticks you can't use the 256MB stick you have, since your system has 2 memory slots.) 

I have the same system as yours, but a 3.06GHz CPU.  I'm running with 2GB of RAM (Kingston brand).  Crucial is also good memory.

32 Posts

December 8th, 2008 21:00

Thanks for replies.  I did check the Crucial site and got good info there.  I do not need to up-grade right now.  I cannot remember where I looked on computer to see how much memory I was currently using and how much free memory I still have left.  That is what I would like to know.:emotion-43:

590 Posts

December 9th, 2008 08:00

As europa303 has already alluded to, you're using ALL your 256MB of memory.  It's not enough for Windows XP.  Increasing your memory will make a big difference in performance.  Control-Alt-Delete (press all three buttons at the same time), Performance tab, Physical Memory is one place to see your memory usage.  Your actual usage is approxiamately "PF Usage" (also in the Performance tab) plus your physical memory (256MB in your case).

Also, Crucial's website (and most others) is wrong about the maximum memory for the Dimension 4550.   You can put two 1GB memory sticks in your machine.  I wouldn't waste money on 512MB or less memory sticks.  If you're on the cheap, I'd just get one 1GB stick for now.

Crucial 1GB memory for the Dimension 4550 is part# CT12864Z335, details at http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=6F36EBD8A5CA7304

Newegg.com has a better price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145086&Tpk=CT12864Z335

32 Posts

December 10th, 2008 00:00

Thanks for the tip.  Control-Alt-Delete didn't do anything for me.  Will consider upgrading memory.  Thanks again.:emotion-59:

I did find out how to get to the performance screen.:emotion-52:

32 Posts

December 10th, 2008 00:00

Hello,

I agree 100% with the first response.

To find information including how much memory is installed, you can right click on "My Computer" and then on "Properties" in the pop up that appears. You can also find a wealth of information by using the free program Belarc Advisor. You may want to read the memory pages at my web site listed below to find out the importance of only buying model specific memory for any Dell computer.

That is  exactly the screen I was looking for.  Thank you to all for wonderful advise and info.  Problem solved!!!!!

590 Posts

December 10th, 2008 06:00

Sorry, I forgot that Control-Alt-Delete doesn't work on all machines.  Try right-clicking on an empty area of the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.  (The taskbar is the bar on the bottom of the screen with Start at one end and usually the current time at the other.)  Then go to the Performance tab.

32 Posts

January 1st, 2009 23:00

Sorry, I forgot that Control-Alt-Delete doesn't work on all machines.  Try right-clicking on an empty area of the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.  (The taskbar is the bar on the bottom of the screen with Start at one end and usually the current time at the other.)  Then go to the Performance tab.

That is so KEWL !!!!!  Thanks !!!!!:emotion-52::emotion-50::emotion-52:

No Events found!