Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2008 08:00

Dimension 4600 running slow - memory?

I have a five year old Dimension 4600 which has begun to run very slowly - possibly since a rash of Windows XP updates a few weeks ago.  I'm doing the usual virus etc scans, but have also noticed that while the processor (single) is over 2.66Ghz, the RAM is only 512MB.  Would it make a difference to double the RAM or are we basically sunk with the single processor?  Can you even get Dell RAM in the UK? Advice gratefully received.

Kate

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 13:00

ElviraKate

Did you run a scan for malware, on the system, as well as the full virus scan?

Do you have a AGP graphics card, or are you using the intergrated graphics?

If you have an AGP graphics card, upgrading the memory to 1gb may help.

You can buy 4600 compatible RAM in the UK, from HERE, you can use either Crucial's System Scanner Tool, or their Memory Advisor Tool, to find the correct RAM for your Dimension 4600.

Bev.

32 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 14:00

thanks for this - yes, I did a Spybot scan, a CrapClean, and have installed Process explorer and there's nothing odd going on.  I also did a defrag, even though it said it wasn't necessary, and something has worked in that things have speeded up quite a lot.  However, I do notice that in spite of a more powerful processor than my Inspiron 6400 laptop it has always been more sluggish, so I'm ordering 2Gb new RAM and hope this will give the machine another lease of life!

Kate

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 16:00

Kate.

Good luck with the memory upgrade.

Bev.

No Events found!