Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2008 17:00

Dimension 4600i Onboard video not there

I have a Dimension 4600i with an AGP card. I want to use the onboard video as well but it's not coming up. Is there anyway to use both or is the BIOS hard coded to not allow the usage of both?

I'm using BIOS A12 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2008 20:00

The Video, in the BIOS needs to be set to "Auto" in order to use both the integrated and AGP Video.

See THIS

31 Posts

June 4th, 2008 09:00

AGP cards are not onboard video controllers. An AGP card is an "old school" video card that fits into a brown colored AGP slot. You can not use the onboard video controller and the PCI express or AGP video cards together. If you want to use the onboard video controller then you have to open the system chassis and take out the PCI express / AGP video card and then conenct your monitor to the VGA port ( BLUE COLOR port) of the onboard video controller.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 4th, 2008 11:00

This is what the manual says:

The settings are Auto (default) and Onboard.

• Auto (default) — If only an AGP card is installed, the computer uses the AGP card; if only a PCI card is installed, the computer uses the PCI card; if both AGP and PCI cards are installed, the computer uses both cards.
  • Onboard — The computer uses the AGP card.

31 Posts

June 4th, 2008 12:00

scrupul0us , when you say Onboard video , does it means that its integrated on the motherboard ? . You are using an AGP card , that's fine. However , i believe that you were trying to use both the AGP video card and the "ONBOARD" or "INTEGRATED" video controller . Do you have dual monitors ? . How and Why would you like to use both the ONBOARD and the AGP controllers ? ...
Message Edited by fishandchips on 06-04-2008 07:12 PM

29 Posts

June 4th, 2008 12:00

I just got a dual head AGP and called it a day... This is the first DELL computer I've used that wouldn't allow the use of both onboard video and AGP at the same time... What the heck DELL :)

Thanks for the replies 

29 Posts

June 4th, 2008 13:00

onboard = integrated motherboard device...

yes i was trying to run dual monitors... dual output card solved the issue, i was trying to avoid having to buy another card when i possibly had the ability to achieve my goal without extra hardware (agp + onboard)

i haven't had to fight this battle in quite sometime as my home machine has (3) pci and (1) agp to handle my (4) 19" and my (1) 24" and that all setup without an issue (although it wasnt a dell, I have done similar setups on Dell hardware)

agp might be old school but I'm not a gamer, I'm a web desginer/software developer... all i need is clarity :) 

29 Posts

June 4th, 2008 17:00

this is a compeltely unrelated question to the topic i started... please start a new thread

57 Posts

Hi folks. i do not want to start a new thread, so i'll ask here.

my 4600c didn't wake from stand by, so i reset BIOS (by removing battery) and did clean installation XP SP2. As soon as i install driver for on-board video im getting either blue death screen or PC contantly rebooting. previously i used AGP card and did not notice that problem. put my AGP card to a different PC and trying to use built-in video... Rolling video driver back to NOTHING solves rebooting issue.

what can i try? is that hardware problem? i striped everything but mobo, sata, DVD and memory. BIOS is the latest A09. 

57 Posts

read forum rules :o)
No Events found!