Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2009 05:00

Dimension 5150 - will not power up

When I press the on button, nothing happens. There is a green light illuminated on the motherboard in the top right hand corner, next to the blue cable that goes to the hard drive. This may sound silly but does the board which the power up button, USB's and headphone sockets have a cable that goes below the blue cable on the motherboard. There is the data cable that runs off the board that runs to the very top right hand side of the motherboard with a yellow pull handle . If someone can advise me of the possible problems or the part code to order a new power board (if ness.) I would be greatfull.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 13th, 2009 07:00

See THIS recent thread on 5150/E510 problems.

Along with the problems discussed in the referenced forum thread, since yours will not power on at all it could be a front panel power switch problem or the front panel connection to the motherboard.

Reseat (unplug and then plug back in) the two power supply cables to the motherboard (obviously with the power supply disconnected from the AC power mains) - the 24 pin connection and the 4 pin Molex connection.  Also reseat the connector from the front panel to the motherboard.

7 Posts

June 13th, 2009 07:00

I too have a problem similar to this with  my XPS. I have alluded to this problem in another thread and it has been suggested that the motherboard is the problem. Here, however, I am hearing the suggestion that it could be a front panel power swith problem or the front panel connection to the motherboard. When this computer is plugged in, the yellow light on the motherboard stays lit and when I push the power button, nothing. Not even a click. This computer received a power surge from a lightning strike. I replaced the power supply but to no avail. I am thinking that the problem is the front panel switch. It seems that there is a card of some sort behind the power button and my simple mechanical mind tells me that is likely the problem or maybe I just think that becuase I dont want to think it is the motherboard.

Can I easily change out the front panel electronics and rule that out as the problem first becuase I change out the motherboard? IF so, where would I get this and how would I know which one to buy?

thank you

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 13th, 2009 08:00

With a lightning strike anything (or everything) is a possibility.  But, I would say, since the power supply was replaced, that it's most likely the motherboard and could even be a bad CPU.  The front panel switch is a remote possibility but it is less expensive than a motherboard (and you would need another Dell exact replacement motherboard because of the Dell custom OEM motherboards).

Depening on how old your XPS model is, Dell spare parts may have the replacement front panel assembly.  If not, you will have to start looking somewhere else such as e-bay and maybe even buy a complete same model case to get the front panel assembly. 

Dell Spare Parts

1 Message

October 5th, 2009 03:00

I have been following this thread for a while and there appears to have no consensus on the root cause.  Many are pointing fingers to the PSU, that it may not have enough power or not working. But after replacing PSU it is often still have the same problem,

What I am suspecting is that there is a software bug in the system interrupt, that it has assumed that fans should work at boot time while on this model the CPU fan will not work until it has gotten to a higher level of CPU clock, or temperature. When this is not the case at the cold boot up, then the system detection is providing false alarm and force this computer not to start.

Becasue computer models move on, DELL may have not the person who has looked after this type of machine with an on demand fan on "such an old model".  It is a shame that this may leads a lot of people to throw this 3 year old computer and to get a new one, while I suspect it may have to do with a simle software setting.

Any one out there wanting to save a basically good computer to the scrape yard please comment?

2 Posts

November 11th, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem. I press the power button and nothing happens, but I found a way to start the computer though. It  is an ugly workaround but it lets you get the comp running even if only for some time. After some time it automatically shuts off for some reason.

Basically, I leave the computer plugged it and then start to jiggle/reseat the front panel cable connection on the mother board, while pressing/not pressing the power button. Sometimes it would start up then shut down immediately, Sometimes it would start up and will be beeping. If it is beeping, leave it on for half a minute, then press the power button and it should turn off, then press the power button again and it should turn on as expected. As i said this is an ugly workaround, and it may damage the computer even further, but it is better than nothing.

Here are the steps I am planning on taking to resolve this.

1. Remove the battery from the motherboard to reset bios settings.

2. Inspect front panel cable for loose connections.

3. Update BIOS to latest revision.

4. If all fails try to figure out front panel connections and replace it with a simple switch.

I'll report my progress here.

7 Posts

November 11th, 2009 11:00

wow, that is an intersting finding as I have suspected that my problem is the front panel switch. I am going to try jiggling stuff around like that too. I have had this computer on the blink for about 6 months and I was about to throw away this $2000 computer but you have given me new hope.

IF I were to determine it is the switch, I would like to replace it. I wonder where I could find one and how much it would cost. have you looked into that yet. I would suspect you have as you said you would just replace it or bypass it with a simple switch.

1 Message

March 7th, 2010 04:00

Does it flash amber once? Mine flashed amber constantly for the longest time (without turning on). Actually it worked a few years ago and just never turned on again so I just forgot about it until today. Actually, I'm using it right now... I plugged it back in for the first time in like a year and a half and it was still doing the same blinky thing, then I cleared the CMOS and tried it again and it blinked amber a couple times and turned on. Then it wouldn't work again after I turned it off. Then clearing CMOS didn't work. I think it maybe the actual USB/headphone/front panel assembly. It was flashing repeatedly and I stuck a USB cable in one of the USB ports and wiggled it around in every direction and it turned on eventually. I did this twice and it worked both times. These go on Ebay for about $20. I haven't ordered one yet but I just may have to. Give it a try. I'll be suprised if I can get this thing fired up again.

7 Posts

March 7th, 2010 05:00

you mean you can get a front panel assembly for about $20?

if so, I definately need to try that with mine. can you advise me on how to locate this on ebay or direct me to where you found this?

thank you

2 Posts

March 10th, 2010 07:00

Have you looked to see that none of your USB ports are damaged? If the amber light comes on at all when you try to power it up , this may be the case! If so it could be as simple as a usb port shorting out due damage caused by someone jamming a connector into the port. I had this problem with my sons 5150 , looked into the usb ports and one of them were damaged . Just straightened the leads from the port out so they were not touching each other and bingo , it powered right up!

No Events found!