Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2008 22:00

Dimension 8250

I have a Dimension 8250 and currently under device manager there is no Network Adapter lilsted therefore there is also no Network Connection. I have already installed the drivers that came w/the original disc but still nothing. Please HELP!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 9th, 2008 22:00

Run BIOS setup (F2 before XP starts to load) and make sure the onboard NIC is enabled. If not, change the setting, save the change and exit setup.

Anything in Device Manager have a ! next to it? You may need to reinstall the chipset driver. Download it on another PC and move it onto the 8250's desktop. Reboot in Safe Mode (F8 before XP starts to load) and double-click the chipset to install it. Then shut down normally and reboot normally.

I suppose it's possible the motherboard NIC failed, but you should get some kind of error message when you boot.

Ron 

3 Posts

September 10th, 2008 02:00

Thank you for the information you have provided me with. I have followed your instructions but when I tried Running BIOS setup (F2) there was not a listing for Onboard NIC. I tried the next step by installing chipset driver and there is still no Network Connections listed.

Also when I turned on the system there was a listing that stated the following:

Select the operating system to start:

I selected one and the following errors appeared.

-Windows coumd not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

-Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check both path and disk hardware.

-Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Can you help explain this to me?

Thanks Again! 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 10th, 2008 16:00

<>According to the manual, the 8250 has "Integrated PCI Network Interface with ASF support as defined by DMTF".  Did you look under "Integrated Devices (Legacy Select Options)" in BIOS to see if it's listed there?

<> 

<>As for that error message at boot up, uh-oh!  :(

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on rear of the tower?  

When was last time you replaced the battery on the motherboard? 

Try this:

Power off and unplug PC from the wall. Press/hold power button on tower for ~15 sec. Open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard.  Press/hold the power button on the tower for ~30 sec. Good time to blow out (don't vacuum out) all the dust bunnies while the battery is removed. Reinstall the battery (right side up!), close the case and reboot.

Ron 

No Events found!