Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 6th, 2011 16:00

Dimension 8300: can I use without a keyboard and monitor?

I have a Dimension 8300 with XP that is not currently in use. I want to use it at my weekend home mainly for the purpose of running telephone recording software on it.

It would be kept in a cabinet and I would rather not have a monitor and a keyboard connected to it due to space and location restrictions. When at that home, I have laptop I normally use with a wireless router.

Is it possible to control the desktop machine with the laptop - like with a virtual keyboard or something?

Also, is there a way I can shut down and start the desktop machine only by switching the A/C supply on and off? Or can I shut down and start the desktop machine remotely with the laptop?

14.4K Posts

July 6th, 2011 17:00

The first problem you will encounter is the no keyboard error at post. which without a keyboard the system will halt. You could get by without a monitor but how would you know what the computer would be doing during start up and shutdown.

It is not a good idea to start and stop the computer without first exiting the operating system.

This can lead to bad disk writes which could render the whole system totally inoperable

No Events found!