Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 22nd, 2007 15:00

Dimension 8400 flashing amber light

I turned my Dimension 8400 off Saturday and when I tried to turn it back on this morning, the power button flashed amber and nothing else happened.  The indicator leds on the back don't turn on and I don't get any beeps. 

I've never had a problem with my Dimension and it was running fine when I shut it down on Saturday.  I haven't been having any random shutdowns or any other issues; nothing to indicate a problem with the motherboard or anything else.  It's also on a surge protector, so it can't be an issue with any sort of power surge.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and what I should do?  I've got 3 papers due this week, so I kind of need my computer to work. :smileysad:

5.8K Posts

October 22nd, 2007 17:00

It sounds like a PSU problem, or possibly something attached to the PSU.

Here is what Dell says (it's not likely to be very helpful):
# If the power light is blinking, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

* Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).

* Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

If you have a spare PSU, I would try that.

If not, I would try disconnecting everything from the PSU except 1 HD and the short green to black on the motherboard PSU connector. If the HD does not spin up, the PSU is bad.

Also, just because you are using a surge protector does not mean that a surge could not be the problem. Those surge protectors can protect against surges of only a certain size. The surge protecting element can die during the surge (it is a bit like a special fuse it shorts the surge between the two lines rather than letting it go into the computer. However, once it dies, the remainder of the surge or the following surges go straight through).

Peter

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2007 19:00

Jessicarr

You should be able to buy a Dell OEM D-8400, 350w power supply for $25-$28 plus S&H, from Dell Spare Parts

You need a PSU model Rev A01 or higher [latest Rev A10].

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2009 12:00

I have a Dimesion 8400 and the exact same thing just happened to me.  Everything was working fine & shut down one evening.  The next day, it wouldn't power up and only had the flashing amber light.

So, what is the Dell part # to oder the PSU model Rev A01???  and is this all I'll need?

No Events found!