Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2008 21:00

Dimension 8400 problems

Hi All,

we have been having various problems with our Dell. It all started when I had to turn off the power button without closing properly. After that we got 'stop' messages 0000000024 telling us to run a disc check. Trouble was I couldn't get any command prompt and when I tried to open in secret or anything it went back to the same bluse screen with stop message 000000000024 (and 3 other long 000 numbers in brackets). We were told this was most likely a busted hard drive so I went out and bought a 560gb new one. When loaded it was the same state and I started fiddling with the setup utility, and tried to set factory default with no result.

Now, there is a message "previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [wake], contact Dell Support.

Before that it was" No boot device available- Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. " When pressing F1 it says the same over and over.

So it looks like it wasn't the hard drive? What was it then that cause the 'stop 000000000024 message" on a blue screen, any ideas?

Help!!  :manhappy:

Matt

I went to setup utility and put everything as factory default. Is that right?

9 Posts

This is what I was looking for, thanks. Trouble is, I now have the problem of

"no boot device available" message.

I cannot get away from this message. Any ideas?    Matt

Message Edited by sawl on 10-14-2008 05:51 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

sawl

See if this can help with the 0x00000024 error.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 10-14-2008 05:33 PM

9 Posts

October 14th, 2008 22:00

Oh and the led lights at the back read; ABC = green and D = yellow. Thanks, Matt

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 15th, 2008 01:00

sawl

Try reseating power and data cables to the hard drive, but it could also, be a failed hard drive, try running diagnostics extended test on it.

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 10-14-2008 09:42 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 15th, 2008 01:00

sawl

GGGY indicates 'Another failure has occurred'.

See here<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

You could try reseating power and data cables to the all the drives.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 15th, 2008 03:00

And try clearing NVRAM by powering off and disconnecting PC from the wall.  Press/hold power button for ~15 sec then open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard. Pressh/hold power button again for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (right-side up!) and see if it boots now.

Ron 

9 Posts

October 15th, 2008 11:00

Excuse my ignorance but whereabouts is the battery situated? I can't see anything that looks like a battery (looking for a disc one right?) There's something with smsc on it and sst but they don't look like batteries. Sorry.

Matt

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 15th, 2008 15:00

Read this and this.

3-Volt CR2032 lithium coin cell.  ~$2-$3 at Walmart, etc.

Ron 

9 Posts

October 15th, 2008 19:00

Thanks Shesagordie and RoHe, I found the battery, tada! Turned on and off etc. I now have all four lights green, but, as I have a brand new hard drive, have just a blank screen with a small prompt top left. I have put in the Windows XP disc to reload but first it said that my hard drive cannot be found (I checked the connections) and now I cannot get to reload Windows at all. I thought about using floppies but for some reason cannot format the ones I have. I tried pressing all the f's to reload windows but nothing works. Any ideas? Thanks, Matt

Oh and when I press f4 and get the copyright 'all rights reserved ' screen, it tells me there is a keyboard failure'. Joy.

Just an update= I changed the CMOS settings and can now reload windows, but I'm still getting the 'not find any hard disc drives installed in your computer' message. I can't see where I set it up wrong though. I just copied the way it was set up before.

Message Edited by sawl on 10-15-2008 03:46 PM
Message Edited by sawl on 10-15-2008 04:01 PM

9 Posts

October 15th, 2008 20:00

Thanks alot Ron!! It worked without having to bother with floppies. Just waiting to see if Windows XP loads OK. Fingers crossed. Cheers.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Run BIOS setup and change the SATA Controller setting to RAID AUTODETECT/ATA. Save the change and exit setup. Try the install again.

Ron 

9 Posts

Just wanted to give this link as it was really helpful to me; http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdnewhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Now I have to build a floppy. Go on the Dell website and find the right motherboard. But my other computer will not let me format a floppy grrrr.

Thanks for all the help, the light is at the end of the tunnel.:robotvery-happy:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 16th, 2008 00:00

@sawl wrote:
Thanks for all the help, the light is at the end of the tunnel..

Yeah, that's the train coming straight at you. :D

Assuming you formatted the new drive (use NTFS), Windows should load without further problems. Just be sure to download SP3 and all the other Microsoft updates for Internet Explorer, Office, .net etc etc asap.

Ron 

9 Posts

October 17th, 2008 13:00

To be honest Ron, what does NTFS and SP3 mean? We did have a problem running Windows XP after shutting it down the first time. It runs fine now though :smileywink:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 17th, 2008 17:00

<>A hard drive has to be formatted before it can be used. NTFS (NT File System) is one of the hard drive formats that Windows recognizes. Older versions of Windows used the FAT (File Allocation Table) format. XP will recognize and use either format, and you have the choice of format when formatting a new hard drive, but NTFS is much more efficient and is the better choice.

SP3 = Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.  Microsoft issues service packs which include all the updates released since the previous release of the Operating System. There were than 100 updates (mostly security fixes) released after XP Service Pack 2. So SP3 contains all those plus a few extra tweaks and improvements.

It's likely the Dell CD you used to install XP on the new hard drive is only XP SP2. So that means you need to download/install SP3 (free) to get all the subsequent updates and fixes. It's a whole lot easier to install all those updates with a Service Pack than it is to do them one at a time. ;)  But without them, your system has lots of security holes where malware can sneak in and do bad things.

Go to the MS update site and let it scan your system. It should offer you SP3. Since this is a new hard drive, you'll need to download ~360 MB for Service Pack 3, so I hope you have broadband internet!

Ron 

No Events found!