Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 6th, 2013 13:00

Dimension 8400

I have a Dimension 8400 that has working well. We had a power outage last night and it will not turn on now...totally dead.

I have confirmed that the power cord has pwer where it enters the computer. Question: is there anything  I can do that might fix this

without taking it in for service   I am guessing that the power supply may have been damaged with the power loss but wonder if

there is something I can do to check or fix.......since it is 8 years old I may replace rather than repair. Thoughts????

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Ringo

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Does the power supply fan work?

Check the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case.

The 8400 Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter is  HERE.

Are there any error messages, or 'Beeps'?

Bev.

3.3K Posts

Hi Ringo,

Follow below steps to isolate/resolve the issue:

Disconnect the power cable or AC Adapter from the rear side of the desktop. Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, and then release the button.Plug in the power cable or AC Adapter firmly, and power on the computer.

If the issue persists, try a different wall outlet, and then try to power on the system.
Reseat the power cord which is connected to “Power Supply” of the system tower, and then try to power the Desktop system.
SWAP the power cord of the Monitor with the system power cord, and then try to power on the Desktop system.

Disconnect any external peripherals connected . If additional hardware has been recently added to the computer it is recommended that you temporarily disconnect that device or devices from the computer to verify they are not preventing your computer from turning on.

Awaiting your response!

32 Posts

March 6th, 2013 14:00

Rajesh, I tried  what you suggested but still no lights, no fan....seems dead

32 Posts

March 6th, 2013 14:00

Bev,  no fan, no lights....pressing the power button does nothing....but the power cord does have full voltage

where it plugs into the computer

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 6th, 2013 15:00

Bev,  no fan, no lights....pressing the power button does nothing....but the power cord does have full voltage

where it plugs into the computer

Ringo

First try disconnecting the power cord, then hold the power button in for around 20 sec, reconnect the cord and see if it makes a difference.

No difference, then it could be a PSU failure, try installing a 'Known' working power supply,to see if this makes a difference.

A known working power supply is needed to test the motherboard and the other components.

You can use standard ATX PSU's with either a 24-pin or 20 + 4-pin main motherboard power connector and without the on/off switch and has a minimum of two SATA power connectors.

If a PSU has the on/off switch, the back panel will have to be modified for it  [cut a hole].

Bev.

No Events found!