Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2010 22:00

Dimension 9000 will not turn on

Windows failed to shut down on my Dell Dimension 9000, so I held down the power off key until it would.  When I pushed the power on button to restart, nothing happened.  I turned off the power at my surge protector and turned it on again.  Normally, the power button lights and the fan runs briefly (one second maybe) then goes off when I do that, but nothing happened this time.  Some power was getting to the system, because the light on the mother board went out, then lit again when I unplugged the computer for a time.  After reading forums, I thought it was a problem with the power supply.  So I ordered and installed a new power supply.  The light on the motherboard still lights, but nothing else happens.  I was wondering if it might be the power switch module (which has a couple of USB ports and headphone and mic jacks) or some problem with the cable that runs from the power switch module to the motherboard, but I hate to just keep ordering parts (assuming a replacement is available anyway) without having a better idea what is wrong.  Any suggestions on how to perform further diagnostics or what might be wrong would be very much appreciated.

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2010 13:00

So, I must now admit user error.  Let me suggest that if you are replacing the power supply that you not get distracted like I did in the middle of the job.  Instead of installing the new power supply, I installed the old one again after removing it.  I figured it out later that night when I went to look at the "old" power supply.    I knew it must be the new one when I noticed that the fan blades were absolutely clean.  Once I installed the real new power supply, the old 9000 was as good as new.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2010 14:00

So, I must now admit user error.  Let me suggest that if you are replacing the power supply that you not get distracted like I did in the middle of the job.  Instead of installing the new power supply, I installed the old one again after removing it.  I figured it out later that night when I went to look at the "old" power supply.    I knew it must be the new one when I noticed that the fan blades were absolutely clean.  Once I installed the real new power supply, the old 9000 was as good as new.

RobertET

Please to hear that you found the error and the system is running.   :emotion-21:

Another common mistake made, when replacing the power supply, is forgetting to connect the 4-pin P2 connector to the motherboard.

Bev.

No Events found!