Steve2bnm
1 Copper

Dimension 9150 Disappering hard drives

I have a Dmension 9150 with two SATA hard drives. I enable one to use Windows XP Pro and the other to run Windows 7 by enabling and diabling the drives in the setup program.

The system will run for a period of time from 20 minutes to several hours and then the hard drive dissappears. That is the OS fails and the screen shows a BIOS post the the drive is not available.

It will come back if I power cycle the system but not if I just do a warm boot. This happens with both hard drives. I have reset the drive cables and power connections several times to no avail.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Dimension 9150 Disappering hard drives

First, F12, at power on should give you a menu with boot drive options.  Inadditon there should also be an option for hardware diagnostics. 

What else additonal do you have installed?  e.g. a different video card?  Do you still have to original factory power supply?  If you have added hardware, but a second hard drive should not hurt, it may be you need a larger power supply. 

What happens if you disconnect the power and data cable from one of the drives.  Will it run OK or will it still crash?

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Steve2bnm
1 Copper

Re: Dimension 9150 Disappering hard drives

I have run the hardware diagnostics and tested the hard drives successfully.

I have not added any other hardware, other than the second hd.

I am suspecting the power supply is getting weak.

I do not remember if I have tried running with just power and data cables connected to the drive not in use. I will give that a try.

Thanks for the Reply!

0 Kudos