Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2015 03:00

Dimension 9200, Graphics Card compatibility to Windows 10

I have a Dimension 9200 Quad Core using an ATI Radeon HD4600 Graphics Card connected HDMI to HDMI.

I have attempted the free upgrade from WIN 7 Pro to WIN 10 Pro a couple of times now but each time although the upgrade works there is a problem with the graphics divers and Catalyst Control Centre and I end up with a black border around the display. Normally I understand that this would easily be adjusted with an over scan or under scan setting in Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) but there does not seem to be a version of CCC available for WIN 10.

Can anyone suggest what graphics card I could buy new (still connecting HDMI to HDMI) that is compatible with my Dell Dimension 9200 and also Windows 10. I also need it to be compatible with using sound over HDMI as my monitor has a speaker in it.

I do not need it to be a high end card as no use is required for games, only office applications in the main.

I do also have a 2nd Dimension 9200 (my primary machine) which is running a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GTS however I have not attempted the upgrade to WIN 10 on this machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 22nd, 2015 10:00

The HD4600 uses legacy drivers and the ATI Auto detect tool will not work with it.   The NVIDIA 9600 has the same issue where you cant use drivers past 309 to 340 and WHQL versions are no longer optional. They officially drop support for these in April 2016.

AMD Catalyst 13.1 Legacy drivers

AMD Driver for Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000 and HD 2000 Series

AMD has moved to the AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series new driver support model.  These updates will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates. The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective.

Applicable Products:

This article applies to the following configuration(s):

Hardware:

AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 3000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series
AMD Radeon HD Series AGP

You have to install the 32 bit or 64 bit drivers by manually downloading from ATI.

They don't let you hotlink directly to the driver downloads.

This is an issue with HD2000 HD3000 HD4000 series Drivers.  Catalyst 13 is max

You cant ever use the Catalyst 15 drivers or even the 14 drivers.  You also have to install DOTNET 4.52 from control panel add features to windows BEFORE trying to install the drivers.

AND there is a workaround install that you have to put into the install cfg file or it will Blue screen STOP  0x000000000CA

Catalyst Control Center REQUIRES Dotnet and REQUIRES That its working and the latest and without need of updates.

Download and install the DOTNET 4.5.2 standalone.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642

AMD is not forthcoming about Catalyst Control Manager crashing.

The Scenario is the same for Vista SP2 or WIN7 or WIN8 or 10

I tested this several times on various dells and the result was always the same. You receive a "Stop 0x000000CA" error when you get to the part where it says "detecting video Hardware"

Go to "C:\amd\(version)\config" folder.

Open "InstallManager.cfg" file in Notepad.

Change last line "WorkaroundInstall = false"

to "WorkaroundInstall = true"  THIS IS CASE SENSITIVE

Save, close; (reboot optional - apparently works without reboot).

Return to parent folder and run "setup.exe"

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

ASUS EAH6450 works fine. Single Slot 27W.

Multimedia-focused graphics optimized for smooth 1920x1080 streaming and Blu-ray 3D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121439

Works in all models Except USFF because USFF has no video slot.

Won't hurt your power supply or your wallet.

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/EAH6450_SILENTDI1GD3LP/

120 Posts

Thank you for this but as I said I am really looking to replace the graphics card with one that is currently supported but compatible with Dimension 9200 (HDMI to HDMI) in order to avoid all these problems with CCC and Legacy Drivers etc.

It does not need to be a high end driver as no need for computer games - just something that will work perfectly ok in the machine and with WIN 10.

It ideally also needs to support sound over HDMI.

120 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 08:00

Thank you for the suggestion of this graphics card.

Would it not however still require Catalyst Control Centre?

Would it be compatible with sound over HDMI?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 19:00

Would it not however still require Catalyst Control Centre?

Would it be compatible with sound over HDMI?

It shouldn't require CCC, and its onboard HDMI audio should be compatible, too.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 24th, 2015 09:00

CCC allows adjustments without it youdont have that. CCC works with DX11 cards on windows 10.  It does however require you to install DOT NET 4.52

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642

CCC is a DOT NET applcation.  DOT NET is NOT INSTALLED by default in Windows 7 8 10.

All Radeon drivers for XP, VISTA, 7 ,8 , 10 Require DOTNET.

120 Posts

August 24th, 2015 11:00

Apologies but I am now totally confused.

I was looking for a graphics card that would work in my Dell Dimension 9200 (HDMI to HDMI) without the problem of getting the black border around the display. This black border I understand would normally be corrected with an over scan or under scan setting in CCC.

Speedstep suggested an ASUS Radeon HD6450 but now I gather that will still require CCC in order to change the over / under scan setting.

My understanding was that I will never be able to get CCC to work under WIN 10 in a Dell Dimension 9200?  

So basically am I going to be able to get a graphics card that will work in my Dell Dimension 9200 and also get CCC to work in the same desktop in order to solve the problem? 

Sorry to persist with this issue but others must surely be having the same problem.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 24th, 2015 12:00

CCC works fine in windows 10 once the dotnet components are downloaded and the driver downloaded automatically.  In other words it does generic vga until it can download dotnet and ccc and the driver.

I am using a 6450 in my E510 running windows 10 and it works fine in all aspects.

Windows 10 requires directx 11 cards aka WDDM 1.3.  If your card does not have this you must manually install VISTA or WIN7  WDDM 1.0 or 1.1 or 1.2 drivers.

All works fine in 10 automatically with Radeon HD5000 series or better. Aka Directx 11 cards.   Directx 9 and Directx 10 cards do work but must have their LEGACY Drivers installed manually.

The AMD auto detect utility does not work with ANY legacy card.

Windows 8.1 includes WDDM 1.3
New additions include the ability to trim DXGI adapter memory usage,
multi-plane overlays, overlapping swap chains and swap chain scaling, select backbuffer subregion for swap chain and lower-latency swap chain presentation.

Windows 10 includes WDDM 2.0 and Directx 12.Nvidia will support DX12 on every Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell-class GPU. That means nearly every GTX 400, 500, and 600 series card will be supported. Interestingly, AMD isn’t necessarily following suit — the company has indicated that it will support DX12 on all GCN-based hardware, but hasn’t indicated if HD 6000 or HD 5000 cards will be included in that.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 24th, 2015 21:00

DOT NET is NOT INSTALLED by default in Windows 7 8 10.

It is. 7 has v3.5, and 8 v4.5.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 25th, 2015 07:00

Its not installed.  No version of windows XP/VISTA/7/8/10  comes with DOTNET pre loaded.  You have to go into control panel and add that feature back.  A Square in the box is not installed only when there is a CHECK in the box are all the features enabled.

AMD Drivers want all the DOTNET's installed Before trying.

Windows 7 /8 / 10 does not include .NET 3.5 aka (include .NET 2.0 and 3.0) by default. But if the user is upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to 10 .NET Framework 3.5 can be fully enabled. The user can make sure this feature is enabled by check in Program and Features.Once this is installed you can download the DOTNET 4.52 stand alone package and install that. There are then several patches to this.

These is list of steps that the user can do to check it :

Step 1 :
Go to Settings. Choose Control Panel then choose Programs.

Step 2 :
Click Turn Windows features on or off, and the user will see window as image below.

The User can enable this feature by click on .NET Framework 3.5 (include .NET 2.0 and 3.0) select it and click OK. After this step, it will download the entire package from internet and install the .NET Framework 3.5 feature.

But if the user does not have an internet connection, this software can not be applied.

120 Posts

August 25th, 2015 08:00

As there seems to be a bit of confusion here is there another make of graphics card (HDMI - HDMI) that is compatible with a Dimension 9200 and does not require Catalyst Control Centre. Also not producing the problem of a black border around the monitor screen.

Sound over HDMI ideally needed.

Sorry to be causing such an issue over this but surely there are other users out there still using Dell Dimension 9200 and HDMI that are having the same problem?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 25th, 2015 20:00

As there seems to be a bit of confusion here is there another make of graphics card (HDMI - HDMI) that is compatible with a Dimension 9200 and does not require Catalyst Control Centre.

The only competition is from NVidia. I haven't tried those in ages, because I got better results in upgrading old Dells from AMD. The 6450 is a great budget card, and the CCC is not that onerous.

120 Posts

August 26th, 2015 03:00

Ok - I have ordered the 6450 from a supplier in the UK so will update you once it arrives and I attempt the install.

120 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 04:00

I have installed the HD 6450 successfully initially under my existing Windows 7 64 Bit OS. Was able to adjust the over/under scan option ok in CCC.

The problem is that I have lost all sound over HDMI. If I right click on the speaker icon (bottom right) and go to "Configure" for AMD HDMI Output and click on "Test" I get the error message "The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and then try again" I don't have anything else that is playing sound.

I don't want to progress to upgrading to WIN 10 before I can get this sorted.

I did have sound working ok over HDMI with the HD4000 series card I removed.

Any help appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 08:00

The Microsoft hd UAA driver (non generic codec for your on board sound) has to be put back as well as directx june 2010.The sigmatel driver will not install without the earlier version of dotnet.  Driver installer must be run as adminstrator.

Description Download
SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.6.10.0.5511, A04
Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio DriverMore details

Compatible Systems:  XPS 420 Dimension E521 Dimension E520
Precision 690 Precision 490 Dimension 9200 XPS 410 Dimension 9200c  XPS 210 Precision 390 OptiPlex 740 Dimension C521 XPS 710

You download the file. extract to a folder and run the dxsetup.exe file as administrator.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

Supported Operating Systems:

Windows 7;Windows Server 2003;Windows Server 2008;Windows Vista;Windows XP Service Pack 3.

You also have to re enable DOTNET and Legacy Direct play.

No Events found!