Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2010 09:00

Dimension 9200 mo-bo / PSU issue?

I've had the Dell 9200 for almost 3 years now (the warranty's long gone, sadly).  After about two years the PSU went, and took the 8600 GTS video card that was in there (and maybe a stick of RAM or two, I don't recall). I replaced the Dell PSU in there with an Arctic Power one of a higher rating (for £40-£50), and the 8600 GTS with a 9500 GT (512 MB DDR3 VRAM). Well, this PSU started making noise after a while (the case was a bit tight for the Arctic PSU because of the protrusion the Dell one used to hang off of), which is how the previous PSU had signalled it's end. I hoped it was just because the clip was warping the casing a causing it to knock against the inside of the case. Unfortunately, a little while later the fan on the arctic PSU starts making noise erraticcally (it was supposed to adjust its own speed according to the amount of power the PSU draws) - revving up alarmingly, and making stalling sounds every now and again before smoothing out. Some time later I noticed the fan had stopped working altogether (i subsequently took the fan out and found it unusually stiff). As a replacement I bought a cheaper Sumivision replacement (£20-£25) with the same rating. After about a week of use, my computer restarts itself, except it doesn't start back up again - the power button flashes orange, and there's a buzzing noise from the PSU that sounds suspiciously like a short, and continues even if you switch the flashing power light off (I took it out of the plug the minute it occured to me it might be shorting).

Anyone else had any power issues with the 9200?

I suspect that the first PSU going might have damaged the motherboard or some other component that wasn't replaced, which then caused both the subsequent failures. If so, replacing the motherboard and PSU would most likely solve my issues, which brings me to the question whether its possible to buy the motherboard, and if that would even help. Any advice from someone with power supply/motherboard troubleshooting experience would be helpful.

Maybe the replacement PSUs simply weren't good enough for what I had running in the desktop, and burnt out?

My post from way back when the first PSU was going:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19266301.aspx

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 27th, 2010 12:00

Don't know why you have such 'good' luck with power supplies! Since the system worked with the latest PSU for about a week, it sounds like the motherboard is ok, but that's just my opinion...

If that PSU only lasted a week, isn't there a warranty to cover it?  You might try to get a refund and buy something better quality. Even if they won't warranty it, some credit cards extend warranties on items purchased with the card, so that might be an alternative way to get a refund.

Have you checked the voltage where the PC is plugged into the mains? Over- or under- voltage might cause PSUs to fail. Are you using a surge protector? Did you take that out and connect the PC directly to the mains?

Only you can decide whether you want to put more money into this system or buy something brand new...

Ron

11 Posts

April 27th, 2010 13:00

I was thinking that maybe after the first PSU blew it could have damaged the motherboard (the graphics card was fried), and damaged components could be causing too much current to be drawn from the PSU, or causing some sort of feedback (if they were damaging themselves further in the process it might explain why the latest one only lasted a week, although the cheaper price might explain it as easily). The fact that all three PSUs failed in different ways does seem odd though (first one went and wouldn't turn back on, the fan on the second one went, and I suspect this one burnt/shorted out internally).

I think the current PSU might have had a warranty, I'd have to check the box/documentation that came with it. What worries me more is the fact that it's the third one to go in a relatively short space of time...

The money I paid for this PSU isn't as important to me as having a reliable system.

The PSU was rated (and set to) ~230  volts AC which is standard in the UK. As per checking the wall socket voltage - I don't have the neccessary equipment to do so safely, so I'm going to elect to not try sticking a multimeter up there. I think there's surge protection in the extension lead/adapter (it doesn't change the socket type just lets you plug four in to one wall socket) but I tend to be sparing with how many things I plug in there at once (of the four sockets on there I tend to use only one or two), although when the last one went I wasn't using it, and the PSU lead went straight into the wall socket.

If I was going to get a new system I would probably be building it with half the components from this system, so the difference between getting something new and fixing this aren't so great, largely the quantity of new parts: as far as I am aware the HDs, DVD RWs, RAM, processors, GFX and audio cards are all fine and quite suitable for building a new system (although the HDs are connected through the RAID).

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 27th, 2010 14:00

If parts were drawing too much power, I'd bet they're be toasted long before now.

Right! Don't be doing any exams on 230V mains, unless you know exactly what you're doing, or somebody will have to replace you.

When the first PSU failed, it might have caused a spike that took the video card with it. So I don't know if you can read too much into that.

The second one really wasn't a PSU failure as much as a fan failure. Yes, the fan is part of the PSU, but fan bearings do wear and fail, without being related to power handling by the PSU -as long as it doesn't overheat.

At how many watts was the last PSU rated? Knowing that it's rated for 230 V isn't enough. You need to know how many watts the system draws. According to the 9200 manual, the stock Dell PSU was 375W and able to dissapate 1280 BTU/hr. So you need a PSU at least that big. If the last one provided less than 375W that would explain its early demise. And something heftier than 375W might be appropropriate, especially if you have multiple drives etc installed because Dell tends to underpower their systems.

Also consider if there are any other big items on the same circuit as the PC. A big TV or a frig cycling on/off could cause transients on the circuit that could affect a PC.

Ron

11 Posts

April 27th, 2010 17:00

Well my reasoning was that if a power spike could have taken out the graphics card, it could certainly have damaged something on the motherboard...

I think the last PSU was rated 550 or 600 W so should have been plenty given that the graphics card didn't require the additional (PCI) power lead. I may have had a fairly small subwoofer 2.1 sound system or a 22" LCD monitor on the extension cable at the same time (when the first PSU went). Certainly nothing particularly large or high-power was in use on any of the electrical outlets in the room.

I noticed every now and again (it happened maybe a handful - 4 or 5 times over quite a long time of normal operation) the system would get quite serious errors, like disconnecting from the internet because the device drivers were not uninstalled properly (although I wasn't uninstalling the drivers in the first place). Restarting always sorted all those issues out, though. Again, as to what that might have signified, I really can't be too sure - perhaps just a software issue with the drivers/windows, perhaps a power stability issue causing the hardware to behave erratically, in turn giving windows confusion in regard to being able to detect the hardware...

66 Posts

April 30th, 2010 14:00

I have a Dimension 9200 which is just over 3 years old. Today when I went to switch it on, nothing happened, it would not start up, no fans running, nothing.  I have checked the psu output and there is nothing at all from the psu. So I am presuming that the psu has died on me.

Martin

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 30th, 2010 15:00

martinfbrown

Try installing a different power supply.

This system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most standard ATX power supplies with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and this can be purchased from most local, or online computer stores.

The 9200 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed.

Note: You need a power supply, with six SATA power connectors.

The procedure for replacing the Dimension 9200 power supply is HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 2nd, 2010 20:00

martinfbrown

The default Dimension 9200 power supply has six SATA power connectors and not all the Dell desktops use standard ATX power supplies.

Bev.

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2010 20:00

The 9200 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed.

Note: You need a power supply, with six SATA power connectors.

Hmmm, you've confused me twice there: even with an added DVD drive, I only use 4 sata connectors (2x DVD drives, 2x Hard drives); although i suppose you could connect 6 sata devices to the motherboard if you really wanted (and you could equally use 4-pin molex power to sata adapters to power them); and as far as I was aware almost all standard tower desktops were compatible withstandard power supplies, some of which have, and some of which have not, got an on/off switch.

11 Posts

May 7th, 2010 05:00

Replacement PSU finally arrived, while connecting it I noticed a couple of bulging capactiors next to the +12V connector on the mobo. Don't know if it's possible to replace the caps (multi-layer pcb?) or where to get a replacement motherboard (part no. WG855).

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 7th, 2010 07:00

ThorUK

That's a bummer.  :emotion-9:

You could try buying a replacement Dimension from DellUK and browse eBayUK.

Personally, I would consider buying a new system, instead of replacing the motherboard of an obsolete 9200.

Bev.

11 Posts

May 7th, 2010 08:00

I wouldn't want to buy an entire new system given that all the components are good, just the mobo is somewhat damaged...

It occured to me I could pull the caps off, leaving their legs and solder replacements to the legs, if I can get decent replacements that is..

That or find a replacement 9200 mobo or compatible motherboard (so i could reuse all the components). Shame the windows CD only works with a dell mobo.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 7th, 2010 10:00

Ron.

I'm not certain if it makes a difference, but the OP resides in the UK.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 7th, 2010 10:00

There are some companies that replace capacitors on motherboards.

http://www.capacitorrepair.com/

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=2

I don't know them, or their quality or charges so do your homework.

There's a whole forum devoted to the topic, if you want some DIY support.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 7th, 2010 11:00

Bev- 

I posted those names as examples of companies that replace capacitors. Dunno if either will deal with ex-US customers or how the logisitcs would be handled. I'm sure there are similar companies in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. OP can google the net just like I did...

Ron

11 Posts

May 8th, 2010 11:00

Thanks, it didn't even occur to me to pay for the repairs, but its probably a safer bet than doing it myself, thanks for the forum link also.

No Events found!