atrac
1 Copper

Re: Dimension C521 BIOS 1.1.2 - Avoid

I have given BIOS 1.1.4 a try. My system no longer hangs at boot, regardless of the USB Printer, USB Wireless Adapter, and USB Wireless Keyboard & Mouse I have attached.

Unfortunately, once I have booted, the devices do not work properly and I have to unplug and then replug them back in to work.

We live in a USB world these days...this is not acceptable. I realize it's not necessarily Dell's fault, but they need to put the heat on nVidia to get this fixed or offer some other type of solution.

I'm going back to 1.0.3 and will wait for the next "try."
0 Kudos

I hope your 1.0.3 works... as for 1.0.4, thanks for making note of that issue... I'll definitely hold out on that until something more stable is out.
0 Kudos
Majestic
5 Rhenium

V_RocKs wrote:
I upgraded to 1.1.4 and now I have a hanging problem at the BIOS boot screen.

Try clearing the CMOS.  This will help rule out any conflicts between the newer BIOS version and the information stored in the CMOS.   You can click here for your model's on-line Service Manual and the section pertaining to clearing the CMOS for your reference.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
V_RocKs
1 Nickel

Clearing the CMOS did the trick thanks!
0 Kudos
atrac
1 Copper

I'll try updating again and then clearing the CMOS when I get home tonight. I hope to have the same success.

I'll be sure to post my results...

Thanks for the tip!
0 Kudos
atrac
1 Copper

I have reflashed the 1.1.4 BIOS and then cleared the CMOS. The system booted normally and all USB Devices seem to be working now.

The clearing the CMOS tip is definitely the trick. Dell needs to add that step to the process (although it's going to be complicated to explain to a novice user).
0 Kudos