Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2009 15:00

Dimension C521 Won't Start Up - Please Help

Hi,

New to the community as I've never had any problems with my PC, hence no need to post - until today!

I went to switch on my computer earlier and nothing happened - it had shut down after installing windows updates as I usually leave it in sleep mode.  The power button did not light up at all.  I took the side panel off the case and noticed that there was an 'Aux power LED' lit on the motherboard.  I don't know if that's a sign of a problem or if that is supposed to be like that.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?  I was thinking possibly a faulty power button but perhaps something more substantial such as a faulty power supply?

I've seen diagnostic lights mentioned in other posts but my PC does not appear to have these - it's around 2.5 years old if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 15th, 2009 15:00

alandenny,

The light on the motherboard means it is getting power. First, make sure the PC power cord is plugged directly into the wall socket. Power on. What color is the Power Light? Diagnostic Lights?

7 Posts

July 19th, 2009 13:00

Hi Alan,

I have the same problem as you had on Dimension C521. did you find the solution?

Best regards

Jan Erik

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 03:00

Jan,

Sorry, I've not found a solution yet.

Alan

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 03:00

Sorry, I've been away for the last week and haven't had access to the internet.  I tried your suggestion of plugging directly into the wall socket.  The power light is 'off' and won't turn on when I press it.  There doesn't appear to be any diagnostic lights on the front of my PC.  The light on the motherboard is still present when I take off the side cover.

Alan

1 Message

August 10th, 2009 10:00

Any luck on the C521, yet. Dell community, no response???

4 Posts

August 10th, 2009 11:00

I got it fixed eventually in a local computer repair shop.  Apparently a wire had come loose at the power button but it's all working fine again now.

No Events found!