Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2010 13:00

Dimension C521 - won't boot, fan runs loudly

I used my pc Sunday morning without any problems and left it as usual for awhile as I did other things. When I came back to it I couldn't get it to run. I switched it off and on and the fan went crazy but no response from the actual pc. The start button remained amber.

Monday night I tried again and it ran without any problem until I left it and it went to standby. I have tried since then but it won't boot, the fan is very loud and the light remains amber.

I have unplugged it and checked connections but it won't start.

I have heard it could be the CPU or the motherboard, is there any way I can fix this without taking it to a repair shop?

Many thanks

3 Posts

Thank you for your reply.

The power button LED is solid amber, the four diagnoistic lights aren't lit at all and there are no beeps or error messages.

I will check the link you supplied now.

3 Posts

Thats very helpful thank you.

If the motherboard has died, is it worth replacing?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Starlie

Is the power button LED, solid amber, or blinking amber?

Check the four Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

Go HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

for the C521 Diagnostic Codes and Troubleshooter.

Are there any 'Beeps', or Error Messages?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Starlie

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 6th, 2010 16:00

Starlie

Spending $149 [unless you can find one for less on eBay] on a refurbished motherboard for a four+- year old system may not make much sense, better to put the money towards buying a new desktop, that has Windows 7.

If you do decide to buy a new desktop, personally, I would buy the Mini Tower version, instead of the small form factor 'Slimline' model, because they are easier to upgrade and supports full size video cards. 

It's your choice.   

Bev.

December 3rd, 2010 15:00

Starlie

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

It is just the solution for my problem, Thanks for your effort!

1 Message

December 14th, 2012 07:00

*Check the four Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

There are NO Diagnostic Lights on the C521.
They are on the Monitor, which also doesn't work.

*Go HERE for the C521 Diagnostic Codes and Troubleshooter.

Stupid answer. If the computer won't boot up, how can you run any diagnostics?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 14th, 2012 08:00

*Check the four Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

There are NO Diagnostic Lights on the C521.
They are on the Monitor, which also doesn't work.

*Go HERE for the C521 Diagnostic Codes and Troubleshooter.

Stupid answer. If the computer won't boot up, how can you run any diagnostics?

Delosa

You are posting 'Stupid' misinformation, if you had taken the time to check the link I posted, you would have seen that there are four diagnostic lights located on the front panel of the Dimension C521, checkout the front view, Item #9 here:

Bev.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2016 16:00

My c521 would hang when waking up from sleep mode and the cpu fan would run loud. I found and replaced a bulging capacitor but the problem persists.

29 Posts

August 31st, 2016 02:00

My 2 cents from my experience on the loud fan noise.

I vacuumed the inside as some dirt has collected over the years. After this cleaning, it started up almost in stealth mode. Ha.

My dimension failed recently, BSOD. Shop checked and attributed to the motherboard. Decided to get a new dell as this one is about 10 yrs old with Vista and pentium duo. Want something faster and powerful. I attributed the motherboard failure to the dust on the motherboard resulting in component overheating.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 31st, 2016 10:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.

No Events found!