Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 12th, 2008 00:00

Dimension E510 USB ports not working

Earlier the other day, my computer's USB ports went screwy and didn't recognize my Mouse. I also have a printer with USB and it didn't recognize it either. I plugged my mouse into another computer to make sure it was still working, and it still did.

I tried going to Device Manager and reinstalling the mouse's drive, but it still didn't help...it's probably something wrong with my hardware. It lists the mouse as an unknown device.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 12th, 2008 09:00

First thing, if you haven't already done it, disconnect the printer and anything other than the keyboard and mouse then reboot and see if that helps. 

Also when you boot up, press F2 to enter the BIOS and see if the mouse works there. 

3 Posts

September 12th, 2008 16:00

Nope. Still doesn't work.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 12th, 2008 18:00

Did you happen to recently install Windows XP, SP3?  there have been issues with SP3 and USB.

1 Message

September 13th, 2008 00:00

I too lost all my USB ports, including the built-in card reader, one night this week.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 had been automatically installed for me, maybe on the same night, maybe not.

I have since uninstalled SP3, but that has not fixed the problem.

All USB ports provide power, the Device Manager reports no issues and the Dell hardware scan reports USB tests passed. But if you plug anything into any one of them, nothing happens.

I have a Dell Dimension E520. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers several times.

1 Message

January 14th, 2009 18:00

I have a E510.  I started getting usb overload messages.  I got rid of the messages, but my two front USB ports freeze up the computer if I hook up anything to them.  I can use the back ones and the ones on the Dell monitor.  I also uninstalled SP3 but had the same result, did not fix the problem. 

I also did not change anything, one day it just started with the messages about a week or two ago.

January 25th, 2009 00:00

Similar E510 fault described here: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19238488.aspx?PageIndex=1

No Events found!