MikeMcCrady
1 Nickel

Dimension E520 USB Ports died

I hve a Dimension E520 that's about 2 years old running Vista Business. This system is very rarely shutdown. About a week ago, I was working along and all of a sudden there was no mouse or keyboard control. Turned the system off using the power button and brought it back up. It came up normally but was unable to use the mouse or keyboard still. I was able to to access the syatem throught the network and was able to get the files I needed to my laptop.

I ordered another motherboard and proceded to install. At first it would hang on the first screen with the progress bar at about a third through. No difference through several power down/up sequences. I removed all the USB devices and it would come up normally. I finally narrowed it down to which port I plugged the printer (Dell 946 AIO) into. Through several hours of discussion with the tech support (another story), I was able to convince him that the motherboard was defective and to ship a replacement.

It came yesterday and guess what, it has the same problem. I plug the printer into the same port and it will not boot. If I boot without the printer and then plug it in, it is reported as an unrecognized device and therfore unusable. I can only get everything to work with the USB devices arranged differently. All the other devices work in the port that the printer wont work in except the Logitec USB Camera.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Dimension E520 USB Ports died

MikeMcCrady,

* Power the PC off
* Boot into the Bios System Setup
* Make sure USB is not first in the Boot Sequence
* Set USB Controller to On
* Set USB for FlexBay to No Boot
* Save and Exit the Bios System Setup
* Get into windows
* Click Start- Shutdown- Shutdown- Ok or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Turn Off
* Reconnect the printer
* Power on
* Any difference in the boot speed?

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MikeMcCrady
1 Nickel

Re: Dimension E520 USB Ports died

I found that the printer had a USB extention. When I removed that and replaced it with a shorter extention, the system would boot up just fine. The long extention only stopped the boot sequence when it was plugged into that one port.

0 Kudos