Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2008 16:00

Dimension E521 Fan

Hello, I have a 2006 Dimension E521 PC.  After about 5 min of the computer being on the fan becomes really loud.  Not just your everday fan, but loud where you can't talk over it.  I opened the case and no wires were rubbing against it, but when I unplug it the noise goes away so I know its the fan.  Could it be a bad fan?  Or something else.  Thanks

15 Posts

August 14th, 2008 16:00

Which fan is causing the sound the power supply fan on the top or the Processor fan inside the computer tower?

Try and update the computer with the latest BIOS update for your computer from support.dell.com.

If still problem persists, Reseat the power supply connection to the motherboard(Big white Connector)

Reseat Heatsink Assembly if its the processor fan.

If this still does not fix the issue. you might be having a bad processor fan or power supply fan and need to replace it..

Its also gud to use a blower to do a dusting inside the computer.

15 Posts

August 14th, 2008 17:00

Replacing the entire Heatsink assembly along with fan will be best. as replacing only the fan might result in having the same issue if it is the jack of the assembly that is the root cause of the problem.

I recommend replacing both. You can get it done FOC(Free of charge) if your system is still in warranty.

52 Posts

Thanks for the quick response.  The fan is the processor fan beside the heatsink.  I have used compressed air to try and clean out any dust that is around but the issue still happens.  I have also updated the BIOS, but have not reseated the heatsink.  If I reseat the HS and the problem still occurs do you think I just need a new fan? 

52 Posts

Unfortunately the computer is no longer under warranty.  But Dell wants to charge me out the wazzzooo for the parts so I am going to try and find them somewhere else.  I hope this is the only thing that it could be!  Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 14th, 2008 20:00

tbs010

You can buy a e521, Y4574 - Fan Assembly from here @ $34.95.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!