Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 11th, 2010 13:00

Dimension E521 "USB Device Not Recognized"

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my system and i keep getting the error "USB Device Not Recognized". It is one of my Front USB ports that is causing tyhe problem. i replaced the entire  HH193 Front I/O Panel and still get the error.  If, however i plug any usb device into it, the error goes away. I shouldn't have to keep something plugged ito it, and one of the USB ports works fine, and all the rear port work fine.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 
Other OS Description  Not Available 
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation 
System Name XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
System Manufacturer Dell Inc 
System Model Dimension E521 
System Type X86-based PC 
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) 
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc 1.1.11, 8/2/2007 
SMBIOS Version 2.4 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 11th, 2010 16:00

Could be a lot of things...

Try the simple first:

Power off and unplug the system. Press/hold power button for ~15 Sec. Open the case and remove the motherboard battery. Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec. Leave it that way for maybe a few hours. Then reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and boot up.

Note by removing the battery, you'll reset bios to factory defaults. If you don't have an internal floppy drive in this system, you'll get a floppy drive error when you boot. In that case, run BIOS setup (F2 before Windows starts to load) and disable the Diskette drive (Drive A) controller.

Dell doesn't offer Win 7 drivers for this system, but with Vista, it needs System Utitlities. So you may want to install the utilities for either Vista 32- or -64-bit, depending on what version of Win 7 you have.  Be sure to set a manual system restore point first before installing the utilities, just in case. :emotion-5:

Do you have the latest version of BIOS for this system?

Ron

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 09:00

Thank you for your feedback. I have tried this and still have the problem.

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 11:00

it does have a card reader that i installed, but it works fine. I unplugged it when the error came up. it was my first thought, but the error still came up with it unplugged from the motherboard . It is one of the FRONT USB ports on the computer itself. I purchased the new I/O board but the error still comes up. One of the USB ports does not work, i went into the BIOS and had the option to disable the FRONT ports, i disabled them and the error does not come up now. But now i cannot use the ports.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 11:00

Does this system have a memory card reader installed? They're typically connected to an internal USB header on the motherboard. So perhaps you didn't install a driver for it during the upgrade to Win 7, or the driver you did install isn't compatible with Win 7.

Ron

No Events found!