Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2010 21:00

Dimension E521

Please help!!!

I am trying to format a clients pc. I have the original XP Media disk. I absolutly can not make the pc recognize the keyboard during boot up. The pc only has USB connections and it will not recognize the key commands until Windows has loaded, such as F12 or F2. I have done the following, tried every USB port on the pc during boot. I have tried 4 different keyboards, including the one the customer uses everyday. I have even went so far as to order a PS2-PCI internal card which came in today. It does not work either!!!! The pc will recognize the PS2 keyboard and mouse AFTER the pc boots up, but not during. Please, ANY advice will be SO SO helpful. Thank you in advance for ANY help what so ever.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 1st, 2010 04:00

Sounds like a BIOS problem.  Reset the BIOS and see if that helps.  Remove the CR2032 CMOS backup battery for about 10 minutes to reset it. 

By the way, unless it's been deleted or corrupted there is a Dell recovery partition on the hard drive accessed by CTRL/F11 (after you get the keyboard issue fixed) that will restore the PC to the original factory conditon and no discs are needed.

May 1st, 2010 16:00

Thank you so much, I am trying the BIOS reset now. Yes, I was aware of the recovery partition, but have to get keyboard functions working 1st. I will let you know if this works, I will keep my fingers crossed!! Thanks again for the idea.

May 1st, 2010 20:00

Ok, no luck and now my situation has went farther south! Now, I cannot even get the machine booted up. It now reades, Keyboard Failure press F1 to continue or F2 for setup. BUT, it will not recognize the any keyboard commands????? Anymore suggestions? I have repaired pcs for about 10 years now, and have never, ever ran into a problem like this. I am totally at a loss here. Thank you for any suggestions.

No Events found!