Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2014 10:00

Dimension e520 ATX Mobo Hack

While researching upgrades for my e520 earlier this year I came across a post from someone who had shoe-horned an ATX Mobo into their e520 case, I've not been able to find the post again though.  Does anyone know who this was, or how it was done?

Reasons for not getting a new case/mobo combo despite the obvious benefits:

I like the e520 case aesthetics.

I like fixing things.

I'm broke.

11 Posts

August 12th, 2014 18:00

11 Posts

August 12th, 2014 18:00

10 Posts

August 12th, 2014 19:00

[ Moderators: I've tried posting this on 2 previous occasions from my phone, neither has gone up though.  I apologise if I appear to be spamming the thread!]

e520 to mATX - Solved?

Searching the web I've found several completed conversions of XPS 700 series, from BTX to ATX.

The 'modders' have just fitted their new ATX boards upside down!  Using a new tray and IO shield the same mod should be possible in the e520.

The front panel connector here is an obstacle, but by no means insurmountable.  Certainly nothing that an afternoon with a pen, paper and fluke-meter, or a custom panel, cannot overcome!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 8th, 2014 11:00

An ATX motherboard would not Physically FIT into the case.  The front Panel connections are not documented. And the Rear Panel Does Not come off the case so this would prevent it from fitting also.

ATX form factor has 6 Slots BTX or Micro ATX has 4 slots.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 8th, 2014 12:00

Given that the Front Panel board on Optiplex, Dimension, Precision etc looks like this I doubt that it has been done or that answers are EVER forthcoming.

10 Posts

Hi SpeedStep, thanks for your reply but like I said I've seen it done.  It might have been an mATX MoBo, hence the quest for answers.

Regards,

10 Posts

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

February 8th, 2015 23:00

The Dell Dimension E520 motherboard can be upgraded to other Dell mBTX motherboards.

Dell doesn't use I/O panels in the rear but cuts the case to fit each motherboard. To do this swap you must cut out the rear I/O area. Facing the rear of the case starting at the left of the I/O area cut vertically to the height of the tallest existing cutout. Then cut across the bottom, level with the lowest cutout.. Carefully (no power tools) cut across the top, it's very flimsy there. Go slightly further to the right than the existing cutouts for the last vertical rh cut. A nibbler is a good tool for this job.

The DimensionE520 supports 65nm cpu only, max 1066 fsb 8gb ddr2 ram,4 expansion slots

The Optiplex 760 mb supports 65nm,and 45nm cpu, max.1333fsb and ddr2 ram.check Crucial.com for max. ram ,Dell data is sometimes old. 4 expansion slots.

The Optiplex 780 mb is almost the same as 760 but supports 16GB DDR3 1066 memory. 4 expansion slots.

Both these board have a very full I/O areas so there wont be large gaps left when installed. Watch out for boards with ps2/mouse ports on rh side of the I/O area, they can extend into video card area.

It's also possible to cut another expansion slot between the I/O area and last expansion slot for 2 slot video cards. You'll have to cut the tabs off of  the rh video card bracket at the top and bottom. 

Some video cards send hot air towards the front of the case that gets trapped in the expansion slot area. Adding a slot exhaust fan can fix this.

No Events found!