Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2003 01:00

Disk cleanup does not work at all!

Whenever I run disk cleanup, nothing happens at all. Theres no noise in the hard drive like anything is working at all. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP Home Edition. One time I waited all day with no progress at all, what's wrong!!!! Please help me. Its frustrating. And when I cancel the cleanup because theres no progress, other programs I run are slow and tend to freeze. Thank you

2.8K Posts

February 1st, 2003 01:00

amatueronline,
Run disk cleanup again then press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the task manager. Check the processes tab and see if an item called cleanmgr.exe is using 99% of the CPU cycles. If so then a key called Compress Old Files in the Windows registry is causing the hang.

To fix this, start Regedit and go to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches. You'll find Compress Old Files in there. It will need to be deleted.

February 1st, 2003 04:00

It worked! yay!! Thanks a whole lot if I knew you I'd buy you breakfast. Cool everything seems to be working faster like it used to. Just some questions, What does it do when it compresses old files and why does it need to? Gosh, what happened in my case? Thanks again.

18.8K Posts

February 1st, 2003 14:00

amateuronline,

Disk Cleanup compresses files which haven't been accessed in two weeks to conserve disk space. The files remain where they are and can be opened on the fly if you need to access them.

No Events found!