Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2008 20:00

Diskette drive 0 seek failure - Inspiron 530S

After coming to the DELL BIOS 1.0.3 screen, I end up going to a black screen displaying "Diskette drive 0 seek failure". (F1 continue and F2 setup as options).  I have no floppy drive.  If I hit F1 to continue I have a blanking cursor on top with black screen. The screen then goes black after a bit and eventurally brings me back to the DELL BIOS 1.0.3 screen.  If I press F2 I go to BIOS setup, I've tried to change to settings to update no floppy in the BIOS settings to read "none" on Drive A:.  My SATA-0 is my hard drive.  My SATA-1 is my DVD/CD burner. I get another error, AHCI BIOS not installed! and then have another error saying "A disk read error occurred"  Press C,A,Delete to restart. And the whole thing over again.  Any help would be much appreciated. 

1 Message

October 1st, 2011 11:00

For the error message which reads:  diskette drive 0 seek failure BIOS Inspiron 530S

First you must enter the bios, then arrow down to Standard CMOS Features and enter.

Now arrow down to Drive A and you will see selected is 1.44, 3.5 in. and enter.

Arrow up to None and enter.

Press F10 and type Y and enter.

You have now changed the Basic Input Output Services (BIOS) so it understands there is no floppy drive.

Happy Computing!!!

2 Posts

December 27th, 2008 16:00

PS to my previous message. I also had the ACHI bios not installed message, and i went to the Dell website and downloaded the lastest version of bios. and that solved that problem!

2 Posts

December 27th, 2008 16:00

I recently had some problems with my Inspiron 530S and had to reinstall Vista as well as restore Dell to the factory image. After I did this, my computer did the same thing. I got the "diskette drive 0 seek failure" message and had to F1 to boot to windows. Well when I looked at my CMOS features, I saw that it said my floppy was 1.44m, 3.5 in. Since I don't have that size disk drive (i don't know who does anymore), I changed it to "none", and voila! that solved that glitch! Hope this helps!

1 Message

May 26th, 2009 18:00

How were you able to install the latest version on bios? I am having the exact same problem but  I don't know how to install the new bios version since I can't get into Windows.  Sorry if that question is basic but I am pretty frustrated right now...

1 Message

November 8th, 2010 09:00

fantastic tried everything..... then found this and thank you so much it worked a dream !!! :emotion-2:

5 Posts

September 5th, 2011 13:00

Also...F1 will not boot to windows, it just reboots to Dell start up and I get the same Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure error message again.

5 Posts

September 5th, 2011 13:00

I am having the same issue and cannot resolve this.  The suggestion I found is to F2, go down to Drive Configuration (However, I have no drive configuration).  I have boot configuration and cannot choose none for my Drive A.  My SATA-0 is my hard drive.  I have disabled the alternative boot (floppy disk) but have no way to delete floppy or  choose none like the previous post states.  I have run the diagnostic (F12) but no errors were found.  PLEASE HELP BEFORE THIS THING GOES OUT THE WINDOW!  Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 5th, 2011 19:00

Also...F1 will not boot to windows, it just reboots to Dell start up and I get the same Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure error message again.

Always include the PC model and version of Windows in your posts! !

In BIOS setup (F2), look for the Diskette Drive option and set that to OFF. Be sure to save the change before exiting BIOS setup. If the change doesn't 'stick', it's possible the motherboard battery died and needs to be replaced.

Ron

1 Message

September 5th, 2011 20:00

Diskette drive 0 seek failure:  I am also haing the same issue with my computer.  I have read through the blogs and attempted to remove the A: drive but still cannot seem to get into Windows and am not sure if I have left a step out.  I am operating Vista on a Dell Inspirion 531 desktop.  I would appreciate any help.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 6th, 2011 10:00

Diskette drive 0 seek failure:  I am also haing the same issue with my computer.  I have read through the blogs and attempted to remove the A: drive but still cannot seem to get into Windows and am not sure if I have left a step out.  I am operating Vista on a Dell Inspirion 531 desktop.  I would appreciate any help.  

It's usually best to start your own, new thread when you post a new problem, especially when you have a different model system than was listed in the original problem.

Did you go into BIOS setup and turn off the internal floppy (diskette) drive? And did you save the change when after exiting BIOS setup?

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

Do you get a prompt to press F1 to continue after the floppy error message?

Ron

Did you tu

October 14th, 2011 08:00

Hi janeteg, thanks for the info it solved my problem with the above.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2011 16:00

Thank for the post. Your instructions helped get rid if that annoying error message about "diskette 0 seek failure" on my Dell Inspiron 531 running Windows 7 Home Edition. Thank you.

1 Message

November 30th, 2011 14:00

you need to go to F2 then go to standerd CMOS features,then highlight drive A,change it to NONE. should not have anything in there unless you have a floppy drive, promblem should be solved

1 Message

July 30th, 2012 17:00

Thank you I had the same problem and now thanks to this post, 4 yrs later, it fixed my problem.

No Events found!