Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 09:00

Display Driver Nvlddmkm

I'm sure most of you have seen these threads before, their are literally thousands of them. Most of which I found to be outdated thou. Has anyone found a fix to the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" issue? I'm running a 32-bit Vista 630I XPS Desktop with 2.4 Quad core proccessors with 4 Gigs of RAM and a Nvidia Gforce GTX 786MB system, which should be supreme to the games that I play, but it won't even handle the default 3D chess game that came with the system, let alone GTA IV or Age of Conan.

I've talked to the Tech service with dell and they basically uninstalled the current Nvidia drivers and reinstalled the dell ones that havent been updated sence March, and this lasted a little while but now my system is acting up again, even thou nothing has changed for I don't have windows update turned on. If anyone has found a solution or knows how I can fix this problem then please give me a hand. Thanks for any advice and have a merry Christmas.

~Mongoose

57 Posts

December 20th, 2008 13:00

Mongoose,

I had that exact problem back at the beginning of November.  The screen would flicker and the error message would come up on the task bar?

I posted on the old forum and got a bunch of different replies. I did the wrong thing in the end and downloaded the updated drivers for my monitor.  It made the error message go away but then  I wound up rolling back the driver because I had horizontal lines in places across my screen leaving me essentially back where I started. 

I have had other issues since then, but oddly enough the problem seems to have resolved itself.  When I talked to Dell about these issues, they told me (and take this from where it comes knowing Dell :) that there was a Windows update that addressed this issue as it was an issue with Vista and the NVIDIA card.

Secondary to the other more problematic issues I had, I have Factory Image Reinstalled twice, and even after that the problem has not re occurred.

IMHO (and I am NO techie) maybe just check updates?

:emotion-1:

57 Posts

December 20th, 2008 13:00

Mongoose,

I had that exact problem back at the beginning of November.  The screen would flicker and the error message would come up on the task bar?

I posted on the old forum and got a bunch of different replies. I did the wrong thing in the end and downloaded the updated drivers for my monitor.  It made the error message go away but then  I wound up rolling back the driver because I had horizontal lines in places across my screen leaving me essentially back where I started. 

I have had other issues since then, but oddly enough the problem seems to have resolved itself.  When I talked to Dell about these issues, they told me (and take this from where it comes knowing Dell :) that there was a Windows update that addressed this issue as it was an issue with Vista and the NVIDIA card.

Secondary to the other more problematic issues I had, I have Factory Image Reinstalled twice, and even after that the problem has not re occurred.

IMHO (and I am NO techie) maybe just check updates?

:emotion-1:

63 Posts

December 20th, 2008 14:00

The "stopped responding" error was a known issue across the range of nvidia cards a while back, and was indeed fixed with an update.

I would suggest getting the latest drivers from nvidia, uninstall current ones in safe mode, reboot and install new ones.

I suffered for a while with this error, and the drivers released a little while back fixed it.

No Events found!