Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2014 15:00

Display issue with a DVI-I splitter from Dell Optiplex to Panason TV

Good evening! 

I work in IT so my understanding of these things is higher than that of a novice and part of why this issue is so frustrating. Also it should be noted that i am also posting this in Microsoft support forums to cover all bases. 
Here is my goal:
To use my Panasonic LED TV model TC-L47e5 as my primary and only monitor for a Dell Optiplex 745
My Setup:
The Dell  uses a DVI-I splitter (DVI & VGA) as it's output for monitoring devices. I am using a DVI (male) to HDMI (female) to connect to one of my HDMI inputs on the TV. 
The problem:
Before I got the adapter for the DVI I was using the VGA with no issues whatsoever. However, once I hooked up the DVI to HDMI setup, it worked great until I unplugged the VGA from it's connector on the back of the TV. The screen went black even though it was on the HDMI input. I have tried updating drivers, configuring display settings, etc and nothing will allow me to run the DVI-HDMI setup without also having the VGA plugged in. If I switch back to the VGA input on the tv I see black. but if I unplug the HDMI, I can see the desktop. It's very strange, but it seems as thought the VGA display adapter takes over, which makes no sense, since the pc outputs through a DVI-I connection splitter. I have been scouring the internet for a solution and this tiny hiccup is driving me nuts. Any help that you all can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

5 Posts

January 13th, 2014 06:00

The back of the machine uses a DVI-I connection that has a DVI-I plug that splits into VGA and DVI. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 13th, 2014 06:00

No such thing as DVI Splitter.

No such thing as VGA working DVI or HDMI without Analog to digital converter.

DVI to hdmi works but without audio.

DVI - D is Digital only and not related to DVI-A aka VGA

No such thing as DVI splitter to VGA

Panasonic TV's are not supported here.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2014 07:00

OR could I use the DVI-D (Dual link) to HDMi adapter and plug that directly into the DVI-I with success?

5 Posts

I thought that so long as the cable had the digital (flat) pin that it could still fit into the DVI-I connector. 

I have a DVI-D (single link) cable handy. Can I plug it directly into the DVI-I port on the back and scrap the DVI/VGA adapter?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

That Plug Does NOT Split the connections it just allows you to use 1 or the other. DUAL Video Splitters are DMS 59 and have a 1 and a 2 to indicate which monitor.

Dell DMS-59 to Dual DVI Y Adapter/Connector/Cable - H9361

Dell Molex DMS-59 pin Dual VGA Y-Splitter Cable, G9438

That plug WILL NOT GO into a DVI-Dconnector because it has 4 pins. ANALOG.

It is NOT a splitter.  The White Label has the Dell part number for this adapter.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 13th, 2014 09:00

Use 1 cable that is appropriately pinned.

The non splitter can go into the trash bin as it is just confusing you.

The 4 Pins are intentionally missing on the DVI-D cable

5 Posts

January 13th, 2014 09:00

DVI-I to HDMI? Again, can I not connect a DVI-D (single link) into the DVI-I port. I intend to get a DVI-D (Dual link) to HDMI cable. Will this work?

Thanks for your help

No Events found!