Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2017 07:00

DisplayPort to hdmi

Ok I’ve seen several pages on the issue but most are DisplayPort on monitor to hdmi on computer. I have the nvidia 1070 graphics card and only have one hdmi port and prefer to use that one from tv to watch movies with family while still being able to mess with stuff on computer. Well I bought a new monitor on cyber Monday and just realized it was vga and hdmi output. My question is can I but the hdmi to display port adapter from dell and it work with DisplayPort on computer and hdmi on monitor. I ask cause the discription reads as only working DisplayPort on monitor to hdmi computer.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Apologies for confusing you. The cable I linked to will work. Active and Passive only apply when you are trying to "upconvert" from a video card HDMI out port to a monitor DP in port. In that case, the user would need to buy an active converter. You simply need the cable I linked.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

* A video card has OUT ports and a monitor has IN ports

* If your monitor has the HDMI in port, then you could setup in this way =

Nvidia GTX 1070 DP out port --> DP to HDMI cable --> Monitor HDMI in port

Nvidia GTX 1070 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> TV HDMI in port

Ok I’m not saying your wrong but I found a conflicting article that say hdmi output to dp I put is passive but hdmi input to dp output is active here is link I just don’t wanna but the wrong thing and have to buy a new one and wait.

Here is article:

www.startech.com/.../displayport_converter_dp_multi_mode

So should I buy this adapter:

www.dell.com/.../a7102178

Hi srry for not using proper terms did more research just double checking here. So the cable would have to be and active and not a passive how would I determine if that one is active?

November 28th, 2017 08:00

According to nvidia’s page it is only DisplayPort 1.2 does not mention ++ and I’m not in front of my computer atm

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 28th, 2017 08:00

As that article states,
"A quick way to check whether you can use a passive adapter is to see if the DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort source has the DP++ symbol above it. The symbol is a D with a P inside of it, with two + signs to the left, one on top of the other."

Did you check the Nvidia GTX 1070 DP out ports for such a symbol?

If yes, then you can use a passive adapter cable. If not, then get the active adapter and an HDMI to HDMI cable.

No Events found!