Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2010 22:00

Do I need to connect my keyboard to start my computer for the very first time?

Hello fellow Dell owners! I have just finished setting up my XPS 730X system that I bought a couple months ago but just got it out of the box. My keyboard is a Logitech G19, and according to its manual I need to install the application software first before connecting the keyboard to the computer via USB. So I just want to know from you guys, who had the first-start experience with their new computers, if the process requires keyboard inputs, or mouse inputs would do. I know that I may have to set the time and date, which can be done via mouse, but what I'm not sure about is if there's a stage in the first-time boot process where I'm required to type something, like my name or a password.

Thanks,

Cherub

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2010 04:00

You can connect the keyboard first and boot up the PC as the default keyboard drivers will work.  After you have it up and running, then download and install the Logitech drivers.  The Logitech drivers only install support software for the extra functions on the keyboard, not the basic keyboard functions.

April 23rd, 2010 09:00

Thank you for sharing with me your opinion Fireberd. So the very first PC boot (start up) requires me to type something? Could you please provide me an example of what I may encounter during the initial start up that demands the use of a keyboard? Is it possible for me to use just the mouse? I don't know why the instruction says to install the application software first before connecting the keyboard. But if I don't need to type anything, then I rather choose to stick with the instruction.

Thanks,

Cherub

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2010 10:00

The install the driver first is standard for most devices, however for some devices, including the keyboard it is not needed.  In fact the keyboard will function with the built in keyboard drivers just as well as the Logitech drivers.   Keep in mind the mouse you have also requires a driver and the built in drivers work for the mouse and if it has any extra functions on it, just like  the keyboard you will have to install a vendor model specific driver AFTER you have the PC running.  

I don't remember what all is required at initial boot up with a Dell.  During the POST (initial power on self test) there MAY be something come up that you will have configure in the BIOS (or press F1 or F2 depending on the action required). When Windows first loads it will probably ask for your Name and "company", and it may ask you for the name you want to give to the PC.   It may not ask for anything that you can't do with a mouse, however, if you don't connect the keyboard and during Windows first initialization it asks you for something that does require a keyboard you won't be able to just hook it up and enter the data as it will be past the point of detecting the keyboard and mouse, and you will have to start over (which potentially can be a problem).  

Just connect the keyboard and mouse and go.  You are making a major issue out of nothing.  

April 23rd, 2010 13:00

Okay, I will connect not the G19 keyboard but the one that came with my other Dell system (XPS 630i). This is just your standard Dell keyboard (Model SK-8110) with a PS/2 plug.

One question though, since you seem to have a lot more experience with this than I do: If I replace the Dell keyboard with the G19 after the initial start up, should I install the application software for the G19 first as what the instruction says, or connect the keyboard first? If I do the latter option, I have to turn off the computer, unplug the Dell keyboard, connect the G19, turn back on the computer, and install the application--is this right? But if I choose the former, should I install the application with the Dell keyboard still connected? Then turn off the computer, unplug the Dell keyboard, connect the G19, and turn back on the computer?

Thanks again for replying!

Cherub

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2010 16:00

PS/2 plug?  They went out a long time ago, everything is USB connected now. 

With USB you do not have to power off the PC to disconnect/connect devices.  I don't have the instructions for the Logitech keyboard so I can't say what needs to be done.  If it was up to me, I would shutdown the PC, disconnect the Dell keyboard, connect the Logitech and power up the PC.  When Windows starts it will detect and install the Logitech Keyboard.  Then, install the Logitech keyboard software and go with the on screen directions as it installs.  When it's finished installing it will probably require a restart.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse, it was connected first then the Logitech "Mouse and Keyboard" software/drivers were installed.  This is probably the same software you have for the keyboard.

April 23rd, 2010 16:00

I also have a Logitech mouse (G9x) that I already connected to the computer via USB, because the instructions clearly said to connect the device FIRST before installing the application (SetPoint). But the Quick Installation Guide for the G19 shows the complete reverse of that (please open the link below).

http://www.logitech.com/repository/1398/pdf/26054.1.0.pdf

I already sent an email to Logitech Support concerning my dilemma. I'm hoping to receive a reply from them by next week since tomorrow is Saturday.

Thanks,

Cherub

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 17:00

Your keyboard and mouse should work without installing software.

Good luck

http://www.computerstar.ca/

No Events found!