Quilty-MUN
1 Copper

Does my OptiPlex 9010 video card support S-Video or Composite Video out through its VGA port

Hello,

I have an OptiPlex 9010 with onboard Display Port & VGA

I am trying to hookup a new 58 inch Samsung TV which only has 2 hdmi ports and composite & component.

I need both hdmi for laptop hookups so I can't use them for the Dell 9010.

I want to run VGA to either the composite or the component.

Will the onboard VGA do this?

I have a cable like this:

http://www.primecables.com/p-317979-cab-2509-vga-to-s-videorca-composite-adapter-cable-black?gclid=C...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

RE: Does my OptiPlex 9010 video card support S-Video or Composite Video out through its VGA port

Quilty-MUN,

The adapter in the image should work for your purpose connecting to the TV.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

RE: Does my OptiPlex 9010 video card support S-Video or Composite Video out through its VGA port

Composite video only has 320 x 200 resolution.  A VGA to HDMI adapter would be in order.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Connecting-Notebook-Displays/dp/B00QUWEBXE/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

rdunnill
5 Osmium

Composite video only has 320 x 200 resolution.  A VGA to HDMI adapter would be in order.

Laserdisc uses composite and it has better-than-320x200 resolution. That being said, I'd recommend an HDMI switcher.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7- Thorium

Color subcarrier frequency was constructed as composite frequency assembled from small integers, in this case 5×7×9/(8×11) MHz. The horizontal line rate was reduced (3.579545×2/455 MHz)  and the frame rate was reduced to approximately 29.970 frames per second (the horizontal line rate divided by 525 lines/frame) from 30 frames per second.   320 x 200 color resolution is standard for composite video.  Amber/Black and white single color monitors have slightly more but not much.

You don't get anywhere near 640 X 480 VGA resolution from composite video.

Laser Disk and Laser Disk players do not get better than the bandwidth limitation of the NTSC composite signal.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro