Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 12-20-2017 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Does the Dell T7910 support M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD?

Does the Dell T7910 support M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD?

Does it have a M.2 port?

Specifically I'm looking to add this: SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW

I also have a quadro video card in my configuration, will that cause any conflicts due to not enough PCIe lanes or something?

Replies (17)
Community Manager

We only validated the usage of 1TB, 512GB, 256GB SSDs in our add in PCIe to SSD M.2 Interposer cards.

PCIe to SSD M.2 Interposer card (4 SSD) = Dell sales SKU 414-BBBK, Dell part number 80G5N
PCIe to SSD M.2 Interposer card (2 SSD) = Dell sales SKU 400-AKSO, Dell part number NTRCY

Our cards must be installed in the x16 speed PCIe x16 slots =
Black PCIe x16 slot, x16 speed
Black PCIe x16 slot, x4 speed
Blue PCIe x16 slot, x16 speed
Black PCIe x16 slot, x4 speed

Notice how our card utilizes the full slot/pins =

I cannot speak to that Startech PCIe x4 card because we never validated PCIe x4 card and SSDs.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi Chris,

I purchased this card for Precission 7910.

Only the first M.2 slot is recognized by the workstation.

If I install SSD's on any of the slots 2 to 4, they are not recognized.

Do i need any additional configuartion or setting on the card or in worstation to make the three slots working?

Community Manager

Drives on slots 2/3/4 will only be seen as additional storage, not as boot drives. They have to configured as storage drives via the operating system.

Specifications =
* PCIe x16 slot
* 1TB, 512GB, 256GB SSDs
* UEFI Boot support
* No RAID support
* Allow mixing of PCIe card with M.2 SSDs and other drive types on a system
* Allow a drive on the PCIe card slot 1 to be the boot drive and the rest to be additional drives (plus have other drive types in drive bays)
* Allow another drive type to be the boot drive and the PCIe card with M.2 SSDs to be additional drives

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the card have to be in PCIe slot 1 to make it the boot drive or can it be in ant PCIe slot and be boot?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Drives on slot 2/3/4 are not visible on Disk Management tool of windows 10.

How to configure them as storage drives?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

When you say that this card has "No RAID support" does that mean it cannot be used to create a software RAID (e.g. Storage Spaces in Windows 10) between the individual drives, or is it referring to the fact this card doesn't include a hardware RAID controller?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just got a 7810 with the Quad M.2 card with a 256GB M.2 and a Samsung 960 Pro 512 M.2 drive.  My plan was to image the OS that came on the 256GB drive to the 960 and put the 960 in slot 1 to boot from.  The 960 was not seen in Slot 1 and can only be used as additional storage in slots 2 thru 4.  The 960 did show up in Windows 10 Storage Manager (as drive 0 and bumped the 256GB M.2 that came with the system to drive 1, ???).

The imaging software could not see the 960 until I initialized it in Windows Storage Manager.  After that my imaging software (True Image 2017) saw the drive and was able to clone to it.  I removed the 256GB M.2 and replaced it with the 960.  Then Windows 10 booted up just fine.

It looks like the Quad card does some kind of a check for an initialized disk or an OS before it makes the drives available.

I could not find any kind of documentation or manual for the Quad Card.  Dell Support has a setup guide that states

"For instructions on how to install the host card and connect the two-wire cable (included in the kit),

see the Owner’s Manual for your computer at www.dell.com/manuals."

The Owner's Manual does not reference the Quad Card or M.2 at all.

A side note...

I was on the phone for almost 2 hours with Pro Support who gave me bogus info like...

1) I must have matching M.2 drives in slots 1 and 2, but I could have a different sized matching set in slots 3 and 4.  (this is not true)

2) The Samsung 960 M.2 power requirements are not compatible with the Quad M.2 card. (this is not true).

For me, it worked in the end.  I lost some hair.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

hello. I have confused with all this.

I have a dell T7910. Now I use a sata ssd (1tb) and i want  to upgrade to a  Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB. I have to buy an adapter expect from the m.2 card? if yes can you propose one?

Is it this the best choice or is better to buy a sas ssd ?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor