Rich DeRuiter
1 Copper

Does the X-Fi Xtreme Audio have a built-in midi synth?

I've been trying to find an answer to this question and so far, nada.

Creative Media Source (v 5.25) > Tools > Settings > General > Midi Music Playback Device only shows the MS GS Wavetable Synth as the only possible selection. I find it surprising that Creative would put out a highend card without it's signature midi synth and soundfont management system. But I can't find any evidence that this card has either. Did I miss something?

Running Vista 64bit SP2.

I also find these forums impossible to search for relevant information, but that's another complaint. But, if this has been asked/answered, I've not been able to find it, but apologize in advance anyway.

--Rich

0 Kudos
5 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Does the X-Fi Xtreme Audio have a built-in midi synth?

According to the Creative (SoundBlaster) site description HERE the Soundfont is only on XP.  I didn't realize they didn't have it with all their products.  Their hardware MIDI synth's are much better than the Microsoft GS Wavetable.  I always used the A hardware synth.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rich DeRuiter
1 Copper

I saw that. But was hoping for a work-around -- maybe compatibility mode?

But the other question remains: Does the X-Fi Xtreme Audio have a built-in midi synth?

(BTW, this forum software is horrid.)

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Audio is handled differently in Vista from previous operating Systems and the reason some items do not work and a compatibility mode would not work. 

There is no mention of a MIDI synth at all on the Creative web site for this model card so I have to assume there isn't one.

I have the Band in a Box program and it includes the Roland software synth and it's about the same as the SoundBlaster hardware synths, doing a comparision to the hardware MIDI synths in an Audigy 2 sound card.

I am not a Dell Employee

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

0 Kudos
Rich DeRuiter
1 Copper

Thanks for the info. I guess all we can do is go from what isn't said. Not always reliable, but I'm making the same assumption at this point. Or else it's just disabled for Vista systems.

I also have Band in a Box (version 12), but didn't know if it would work with Vista 64 and haven't installed it yet. I simply haven't investigated whether it's capable of running on my system. I'd upgrade, but I'm kind of tapped-out after buying this new Dell.

The Roland Software Synth is very good, except for horns (which sound very synth-like, rather than horn-like). The SoundBlaster synth did much better with horns. I'm unaware of any sound-font capabilities with the Roland Synth. I know this is getting a bit off-topic, but would a newer version of BB include a version of the Roland software synth that does includes sound font capabilities?

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

I have BIAB installed on my Vista 64 bit system but I don't remember what version it is - it's last years version (I usually update every two years).

I don't know what is included with the Roland, but I don't recall any soundfonts.  I have Sonar 8 (Producer) and it includes a lot of MIDI stuff and although I haven't used much of it, what I have used is great.  But Sonar recording software and plug-in's is a different  "animal" than BIAB. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

0 Kudos