Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2013 08:00

Does the new, Haswell-based, Dell XPS 27 Adobe RGB Quad HD have a built-in TV tuner?

I am looking to purchase a new Haswell-based, Dell XPS 27 Adobe RGB Quad HD with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics card. It will replace the television in my den; I will use it both to watch television as well as my home computer when I work at home. All (or at least, most) of the reviews I have read mention a TV tuner and remote control with the desktop but I realize that they are all for the previous edition of the Dell XPS 27. My question is, does the current Haswell-based, Dell XPS 27 Adobe RGB Quad HD have a built-in TV tuner?

Also, following up on that, I am an AT&T Uverse subscriber and would obviously like to connect my new Dell XPS 27 with my AT&T Uverse television subscription. With that, it would be ideal if I good get my AT&T Uverse remote control to "learn" the codes for the Dell remote control in order to control the television and DVD/Bluray playback. Is this possible and, if so, how to I do it?

Thanks in advance.

26 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 22:00

Yes, this is the new Haswell based XPS 2720.  Slot looks exactly like the mSATA slot to the right of it.  See picture attached.

1.5K Posts

June 13th, 2013 00:00

Hi WLThomasJr,

The recently launched XPS One 2720 with Haswell processor does not have an in built TV tuner port.

Please feel free for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

5 Posts

June 16th, 2013 15:00

Is there a reason why the TV tuner was removed and/or are there any plans to reintroduce a mode with a built-in TV tuner (and remote control) soon?

I hate to sound demanding but I was looking to use this desktop computer as a replacement for the television in my den. Without a TV tuner and remote control, it cannot do that. My alternative is a Sony SVL241490X but I would much prefer the Dell XPS 27, but without a TV tuner and remote control, I am forced to purchase the Sony.

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2013 10:00

Hi WLThomasJr,

There is no option of TV tuner card in XPS 2720 as of now. I am not the correct person who can tell you if it will be available with TV tuner anytime in future or not.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

26 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 14:00

Just so that you are aware, during the process of installing an mSATA SSD on my new XPS 2720 (base model), there is a TV tuner slot on the motherboard clearly labelled.  Now in terms of whether or not Dell will release a card for it, or if the port is active, I can't say.  But the port is there.

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 21:00

feejai, thank you!

I did not know that. Just curious if the TV tuner slot is a PCIe slot that I can slip an Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 or a custom slot. I wonder if I could fit a TV tuner from the "old" XPS 27 and get it to work.

Forgive me for asking but just to be certain, this is the new, Haswell-based XPS 2720 you are referring to, correct?

5 Posts

July 4th, 2013 12:00

D'oh!

A mini PCIe slot. Of course!

feejai, Dell should give you some sort of prize or compensation for your response. Seriously. Because of you, I am purchasing a new Dell XPS 2720. Hey Dell, how about a $100 gift certificate for feejai?

I think I will get a Habey HB-MAT5070 or AverMedia mini PCIe card and try to get it to work in the Dell.If it works, awesome; and if it doesn't, that's on me. Either way, I would not even try without feejai's response.

26 Posts

July 4th, 2013 14:00

Lol, thanks WLT!

It would be nice if Dell itself monitored and had the resources available to properly answer these questions.  The thing is I haven't found Dell technical support to be of any help at all.  If you check some of my other posts in regards to the 2720, I had a hell of a time with these machines (ordered two, after a good experience with my other 2710):

1. Where did my Thunderbolt port go?  Only after two hours of run around on separate days AND 2 shipments of 2 Dell XPS 2720's, only to find out that the Thunderbolt that is listed on all the specifications only come with the configuration that has the discrete video card (nvidia I think).  I mean the XPS technical support thought it should be there as well and sent two replacement 2720's to me without the ports!  Now I have to lug two of them back to a shipping centre.
  2. Good luck trying to install your own larger mSATA drive and using the 'Dell recovery software' to install on (another post that I have started).  You will have to use an OEM Windows 8 install disc to do this, the Dell recovery software will only allow an installation on a hard drive as big or bigger than the original (1TB in my case).
  3. Video flicker is terrible on these machines when in the bios or trying to install a fresh Windows 8 OS, please make sure the first thing you do after turning on that 2720 is to update to the A01 firmware (or you will have some serious issues with video flicker)... yet another post.
The machine is beautiful, but the Dell 'experience' is getting worse and worse all the time.  Not to mention, in this day and age to not have a full blown SSD as your OS drive instead of the 'cache' SSD that's provided in these XPS (powerful) systems is a joke.  Mechanical drives for anything other than storage on a machine like this is a total waste.  I can't believe either how spoiled I am having had the luxury of using SSD's over the past couple of years, but mechanical drives for an OS drive is just way to slow now.
Good luck with your machine, and please post back with your success or failure of the TV card :).

9 Posts

July 8th, 2013 19:00

feejai, my xps27 is being built right now, will get here on the 17th.  I found it cheaper to order the second top model then upgrade the memory.  I don't need Blue ray player anyway. That saves me $420 - $134 (16GB RAM upgrade) = $286 to spend on a nice SSD maybe. Here's my question: How many HDD drives do you find in it? My model comes with 2TB hard drive but i'm not sure it's gonna be a single drive or dual drive.  Thanks

26 Posts

July 8th, 2013 20:00

These systems are configured with a single 3.5" HDD (which will be your 2TB), and an mSATA slot (which will have your 32GB mSATA SSD in it (configured as a cache drive).  If you are planning to upgrade to a larger SSD, you will have to replace the 32GB SSD in your mSATA slot with an mSATA SDD (larger size).

In order to use your new/larger SSD as your 'boot' drive, you will have to disable the caching feature in the bios and then re-install the operating system.  It would be a good idea once you get your new system, to order the recovery discs from Dell as the backup and restore image you create may not work as is explained in some of the other posts.

My system is running great with the Intel 180GB mSATA SSD, it was a bit of work, but overall very happy with the system now.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2013 16:00

I have an XPS One 2720 and would like to add a video tuner.  Please let me know when you have yours working.  I would like to hear about your experience.

5 Posts

October 17th, 2013 20:00

Ultimately, I decided not to get the video tuner. In looking, I could not find a TV tuner card that I really liked. Good thing because I found out that the only thing I had to do is connect my AT&T Uverse set-top-box is connect it via HDMI.

:emotion-5:

I obviously don't know what "cable" provider you have but, if their set-top-boxes have an HDMI port, chances are all you need to do is connect them.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2013 10:00

Thanx.. That sounds like a better idea and will permit watching all Premium channels as well.  All I need is to rent another set top box from Wave, our cable provider.:emotion-2:

October 23rd, 2013 18:00

Hey guys, you seem to have a lot of knowledge about this machine and I am having trouble with the nvidia 750m. I downloaded steam and when i try to play a game and i go to video settings it wont let me choose the nvidia card and the only option is the integrated 4600... help!!!

No Events found!