PogosPa
1 Copper

RE: Downloaded Dell Update Now Computer Will Not Start

The video is of no help. The keyboard is wireless, so the computer has no communication with it prior to booting. I notice the computer has 3 buttons on the side, in addition to the power button. Could holding one or more of these buttons in while powering up the computer possibly enable the BIOS recovery? One other possibility occurs to me: using a CD-ROM to trigger the process. I tried putting a random DVD into the drive, and it tried to read it. That's the most response I've been able to get from this computer.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you try using a USB/wired keyboard on the system and using the steps below?

* Restart the computer

* Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears

* On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key (May not appear on all systems)

* Choose Recover BIOS and press Enter. WAIT. Do not force a reboot or press any other keys

As per the article here

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Shesatech
1 Copper

I tried the BIOS recovery with a wired Dell USB keyboard and no, it does not work. In the FAQ's of the article it shows which AIO's have the BIOS recovery ability and the Inspiron 20 - 3052 is not on the list 😞

So...without the BIOS recovery ability, I don't see how one could install the new BIOS update released today?? Any ideas??

0 Kudos
TelReed
1 Copper

I had the same problem - I managed to recover the situation by doing a MicroSoft Windows10 System Restore - it worked - so it must have restored the chipset/firmware to what it was before

0 Kudos
randyflycaster
1 Copper

How can I do a system restore if I can't start the computer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7- Thorium

Randyflycaster - Always include the PC model and version of Windows.

What symptoms are you getting, aside from "can't start"? What version of BIOS did you attempt to install, assuming that's what caused your problem?

You can try resetting BIOS:

Power off, unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open case and remove motherboard battery (check the Service Manual for details)

Press/hold power button for ~30 sec

Reinstall battery (Time for a fresh one?)

See if it boots now

And you may have to contact Dell Tech Support for assistance, especially if it's still under warranty. Have the Service Tag handy when you contact tech support. (Do not post it here!)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos