Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2017 09:00

Downloaded Dell Update Now Computer Will Not Start

I have a Dell Inspiron 20 3052. After I downloaded update computer said it was restarting, but it won't reboot. The orange light is on. I've tried shutting it off by pressing it for 30 seconds or so, but computer still won't start. Screen is black.

Thanks,

Randy

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2017 14:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 20 3052. After I downloaded update computer said it was restarting, but it won't reboot. The orange light is on. I've tried shutting it off by pressing it for 30 seconds or so, but computer still won't start. Screen is black.

Thanks,

Randy

randyflycaster

What was the update you tried to install?

Bev.

4 Posts

May 13th, 2017 15:00

Same thing happened to me last night. I was trying to install a BIOS update. I since have taken the whole system apart looking for the problem but I can not find any.

You are not alone.  I'm not sure what my update was for.  I got home from work and noticed the Dell update notification in the bottom right corner of the screen.  It said to back up and save work, close all apps...blah,blah,blah.  I close the browser and click install instead of remind me later......walked away and checked it after getting out of the shower and noticed the yellow power light on.  I thought, well maybe it's still updating and went on with my evening trying to explain to my family that I didn't break the computer.   LOL  Well was I wrong and right at the same time. My computer is broken, but apparently the only thing I did wrong was accept and install an update from Dell that I assumed I needed.  THANKS FOR BREAKING MY COMPUTER!  Trying to get more of my money?  

3 Posts

I have same problem with the same all in one inspiron 20 3052 happen early today  during dell update i think the update was going to make chages to bios i click to update and left it when i return computer will not start no beeps or anything like that

Do not know. it was an automatic download. Now dell is telling me I need a new motherboard.

May 13th, 2017 19:00

How an we let dell know? Will they take responsibility? I just boght a new computer.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2017 22:00

Please read this recent thread/posts about failed Dell BIOS updates:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/20012309/20997119#20997119

Bev.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2017 04:00

Same here.  Computer is less then six months old and is dead after dell bios update.  Last dell product I'll ever own

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi Jamioni, 

I am not sure if this video will apply to your system, but it might be helpful in recovering the BIOS.

Best regards,

Brad

9 Posts

May 15th, 2017 11:00

The video is of no help. The keyboard is wireless, so the computer has no communication with it prior to booting. I notice the computer has 3 buttons on the side, in addition to the power button. Could holding one or more of these buttons in while powering up the computer possibly enable the BIOS recovery? One other possibility occurs to me: using a CD-ROM to trigger the process. I tried putting a random DVD into the drive, and it tried to read it. That's the most response I've been able to get from this computer.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 16th, 2017 09:00

Can you try using a USB/wired keyboard on the system and using the steps below?

* Restart the computer

* Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears

* On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key (May not appear on all systems)

* Choose Recover BIOS and press Enter. WAIT. Do not force a reboot or press any other keys

As per the article here

Best regards,

Brad

1 Message

May 17th, 2017 14:00

I tried the BIOS recovery with a wired Dell USB keyboard and no, it does not work. In the FAQ's of the article it shows which AIO's have the BIOS recovery ability and the Inspiron 20 - 3052 is not on the list :-(

So...without the BIOS recovery ability, I don't see how one could install the new BIOS update released today?? Any ideas??

1 Message

January 4th, 2018 01:00

I had the same problem - I managed to recover the situation by doing a MicroSoft Windows10 System Restore - it worked - so it must have restored the chipset/firmware to what it was before

January 4th, 2018 08:00

How can I do a system restore if I can't start the computer?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 4th, 2018 12:00

Randyflycaster - Always include the PC model and version of Windows.

What symptoms are you getting, aside from "can't start"? What version of BIOS did you attempt to install, assuming that's what caused your problem?

You can try resetting BIOS:

Power off, unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open case and remove motherboard battery (check the Service Manual for details)

Press/hold power button for ~30 sec

Reinstall battery (Time for a fresh one?)

See if it boots now

And you may have to contact Dell Tech Support for assistance, especially if it's still under warranty. Have the Service Tag handy when you contact tech support. (Do not post it here!)

No Events found!