Highlighted
3 Zinc

Drive D not detecting disc

Hi I have an Inspirion 660S desktop with windows 8 and my CD drive doesn't detect anything I put in it.  When I go to My computer and look at the D drive where I put my CD in it says there is nothing there.  I had this problem shortly after I received my computer from Dell which was the end of last year so I still have a while to go on my warranty and I added another year to it.  A Dell technician has taken over my computer and got it to work at that time.  Now it's been about 5-6 months and My computer says I have a 😧 Drive but it doesn't detect anything I put in there again.  Doesn't anyone know why it does this and what should I do?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Re: Drive D not detecting disc

Hi CDLOUS4,

My guess is the Dell tech tried the upper and lower filter trick, but I think the current problem may be hardware. I would run the diagnostics first. To test your CD/DVD drive from the utility partition:

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Select Boot to utility partition or Diagnostics.

3. Select Test System.

4. Select Custom Test.

5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your CD/DVD drive.

6. Insert a CD or DVD.

7. Click Run Tests.

8. Write down any error messages.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Drive D not detecting disc

Hello Cdlous4,

In addition to what Osprey has said, you may also try the suggestions mentioned in the following articles and check if that helps:

Though the articles are for Windows 7, same steps are applicable for Windows 8. 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos