Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 13:00

Driver not responding

Hello,

I have XPS 720 and my old graphics card (8800 gtx) has died recently and I got a replacement card gtx 285 from dell. However I noticed that when I play a game my drivers randomly crash. This happens in world of warcraft only. The game is freezing for about a minute randomly when there is a lot of stuff happening. In windowed mode I could see message in the corner saying that "display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver, version 296.10 stopped responding and has successfully recovered", and in the event viewer this shows up as a warning with event id 4101 and "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I have tried to play few other games for 10-30 minutes but I could not force drivers to crash. I have tried about 5 different drivers, clean installation of drivers, different pci-e slot, I tried to load the gpu with gpu testing software, re-seating ram modules, reinstalling the game, changing video settings ingame, changing tdr delay from original value 60 to 8.... no luck.

Does anybody have and idea what could be the problem here? I called dell and they had some advice which I already tried and they are supposed to call me back but I will be at work in the next few days so I will no be able to contact them earlier than thursday.

It seems that when I try different video settings ingame the crashes are less/more frequent.

Thanks

14.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 19:00

You are most likely overloading the card. Always use the latest drivers from Nvidia. You May have to slightly scale back on the settings.

10 Posts

June 24th, 2012 11:00

The thing is that I play with some settings turned off. At one point the crashes were more frequent with lower settings than with higher ones. I tried the newest drivers and few older ones. I also checked temperatures and the card does not go above 50 degrees very often. And I think a card like this should handle world of warcraft pretty easily. I tried games like crysis 2, skyrim and alan wake without any problems.

I am currently trying to run world of warcraft with v-sync turned off and it seems that crashes are less frequent, or they are completely gone... (haven't got much time to play yesterday but I'm going to test it right now)

10 Posts

June 24th, 2012 15:00

Ok so it really looks that it's caused by triple buffering or at least by vertical synchronisation. I played for about an hour and a half without any crash with v-sync turned off. I couldn't force a driver crash with v-sync on for about 30 minutes either but when I turned on triple buffering it didn't take too long for driver to crash. It must be one of these two.

However is this considered as a graphics card fault and I should ask for a replacement card or could it be some memory timings, compatibility with other components, PSU problem etc...?

No Events found!