Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2015 16:00

Driver updates on support page...

First let me apologize if I have posted this to the wrong forum group. This seemed the best choice.

I used the support page for my machine to determine if there were any driver updates I needed to install.

I used the system analysis feature and it came up with 4 driver updates and a BIOS update. I chose to let it automatically download and install the updates (I unchecked the BIOS update since I have to do it manually). This process appeared to work without a hitch although the Intel ME FW Recovery Agent that opened and tried to phone home to check for updates could not do so - my internet connection is fine - I think Intel is having trouble with/updating their support page.

I quit the recovery agent and restarted my machine. Everything seems to work fine. I went back to the support page to check version of BIOS update and download it. I used the system analysis function again and the same 4 updates I thought I had installed appeared. I have been trying to check to see if the drivers were actually installed but I am not sure where to find them all. I did notice when looking through the system information window that the RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller driver showed todays date and a time which coincides with my attempt to install the drivers.

I just noticed that there is a Dell Downloads folder in My Documents. I looked at the logs real quickly. They all terminated successfully. So now I am pretty confident that they are in fact updated.

I want to be sure before I flash the BIOS. Why are they showing up again on the support page if they have already been installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Hamilton

Dell XPS 8700 (Mid 2013)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 21st, 2015 18:00

The Device Manager will have that info about the drivers. See what drivers are installed for the hardware now. Unless you are having trouble, you should not update drivers at all. Updating drivers that don't need it can cause problems.

The bios update can be installed. The latest one for your model is A10. Check your current bios to see if you need to update. (F2 as soon as you reboot will enter Setup that will have your bios info) You might have that bios already. Bios updates that fail can brick your computer. It is good to have a battery backup unit (UPS) for the desktop to prevent power interruptions or surges from causing failures.

The driver download page will have all the drivers for your model in case you have to reinstall them. It is not suggesting that you need updates. The list will stay the same even after updating.

10 Posts

March 21st, 2015 19:00

Thanks Mary,

I am having trouble with a USB external hard drive disconnecting randomly. I saw a post that stated that the updated BIOS dealt with this issue. Mine is A06. So I think I will flash the BIOS.

Thanks for your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 21st, 2015 21:00

I hope the update to BIOS A10 solves your issues, but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem for a lot of XPS 8700 users.

There's a USB issue in Win 8.1 that causes this problem on a lot of different systems, not just Dell PCs.  If you search the web, a Registry hack has been reported to fix it. 

Some XPS 8700 users have installed a USB3 PCI-e card to get around the Registry problem but MacroStupid really should fix Windows.

BTW: Have you looked at the Power Management tab for each USB root hub in Device Manager, and unchecked their boxes "Allow PC to turn off...", which may contribute to the disconnect issue? Reboot after unchecking all those boxes...

No Events found!