Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2009 09:00

Dual Monitor hookup to new Studio 540

Hi,  Just took delivery of a Studio 540 and 2 new 19" monitors.  I asked for Dual Monitor support so the machine has an ATI Radeon HD 3650 graphics card. The connections on the back of the ATI are: DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI.  The Monitors have either DVI-D or VGA inputs, and they come with VGA cables.  The system did come with a single DVI to VGA adapter plug.

So the problem is with the supplied equipment I can only hook up a single monitor: VGA <-> VGA to DVI adapter <-> DVI out of Graphics card.

And the question is how to hook up the second monitor.  I am just guessing that it may be pluggable into the DisplayPort, but I do not know if that is possible, or what cable/adapter to use to make that happen.  I also do not know why Dell did not send some way to hook up this second monitor.  Tech Support was very little help, they told me I needed to buy a new Graphics card.

Thanks for any help....

5 Posts

February 19th, 2009 16:00

I was finally able to figure out my problem.  I had to order a DisplayPort to DVI-D cable adapter and then a DVI-D cable to hook up the second monitor.

Oh, and I had to file down the DisplayPort plug since it will not fit in the connector....the backpanel frame interferes with it and it will not seat.

All in all I would have to say that it does not appear that Dell Engineering and/or Test has any experience with this particular HD3650 card.

If anyone needs the adapter and/or cable part #'s I can provide them.  The one good thing is that Dell appears to be the cheapest supplier. The bad thing is that I was unable to find anyone at Dell that knows anything about hooking up Dual Monitors witha DisplayPort output.

September 16th, 2009 15:00

What resolution was your second monitor?  

There still doesn't seem to be anyone at Dell who understands DisplayPort...

My problem: 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5318454#post5318454

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19294432/19552900.aspx#19552900

The answer I think:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19290558/19539568.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

5 Posts

September 16th, 2009 17:00

All of this happened more than 7 months ago now, so my memory is a bit vague, but here's what I have...

Both of the monitors I am using are set to 1440x900.

One is hooked up from the Graphics card's DVI output to the Monitor's VGA input. For this I needed a DVI-A to VGA adapter.

The other one is hooked up from the Graphics card's DisplayPort output to the Monitor's DVI-D input. For this I needed a DP2DVI adapter.

I had the same issues with Dell support, not that good.  It's a shame because, basically, the product is good - if you can get it hooked up...

September 16th, 2009 17:00

Wait, this may be helpful.  Does your DisplayPort out have a D++ logo, or a D only logo?   And does your monitor accept single link DVI? or only dual-link DVI?

I have my XPS DisplayPort hooked up through a DP2DVI (dual link) adapter to a monitor requiring a DVI Dual Link, and it's only reporting a single link resolutoin (1280x800).

5 Posts

September 16th, 2009 19:00

I hope you are talking about this being helpful to you, because my system is working fine (at least I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again).  I know my Monitors are DVI-D Dual Link inputs, as for the Vid Card's output I do not think it had any logo identifying it as D or D++.  I don't know the diff between D++ and D. I have a picture of the Graphics card's output, but can't seem to attach it here.

September 17th, 2009 08:00

steven AT thepenthouse DOT org if you can email it...

November 3rd, 2010 18:00

Can you send me the part numbers for the adaptor solution you figured out?

does your dual display allow you to run multiplr application on each screen or is it a mirror image on both scrren and single apllication?

No Events found!