djschroeder
1 Copper

Dual Monitors on a Dimension E521 - Is integrated video disabled when adding a video card?

I have a bunch of E521 desktops that I want to put dual monitors on.

My plan is to buy a cheap PCIe x16 (Graphics) VGA card for them. They will only be used for business/internet apps, not any gaming.

Before I spend a bunch of cash on this, I thought I read that installing a PCIe x16 card will disable the integrated video. I was hoping to use the integrated video AND the new card for the monitors.

Should I be looking at a video card with two VGA outputs instead?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap video card (single output or double if needed)?

Thanks,

Darin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jackshack
5 Iridium

Re: Dual Monitors on a Dimension E521 - Is integrated video disabled when adding a video card?

According to the manual for this machine, if the video setting is "Automatic", the card will be selected and the integrated video will be disabled.  The manual does not say what alternate setting might be available, but past Dells I have worked with had a setting for "Onboard" which forces the machine to use the integrated video.  It was then possible to load a driver for the add-on card and extend the display to the card using the Windows settings.  I'm afraid I can't guarantee that this computer will behave in the same way.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos
djschroeder
1 Copper

Re: Dual Monitors on a Dimension E521 - Is integrated video disabled when adding a video card?

Jack,

Thanks for the advice ... I looked in the BIOS on one of the computers but the only option is AUTO. It may give the other option when a card is added, but at this point it doesn't.

Maybe I should just go after a cheap dual VGA solution ... there are some used ATI Radeon X1300 on eBay for about $15 each.

0 Kudos