Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 08-16-2000 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dual Processors?

Hi-

I'm thinking about buying a server from Dell and I need help deciding whether or not to install a second processor. The server would be used for web hosting and I am expecting mild to moderate traffic. First of all, what are the benefits to installing dual processors and would you recommend it for this particular server?

Thanks.
Alex

P.S. I know that I may be better posting this note in the server section of DellTalk, but it's a ghosttown over there and I thought I'd get a better shot at a response by posting it here :)
Replies (5)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The Advantage to dual processors is simple. It allows the computer to separate the tasks between the two processors. So if there is a large influx of traffic, each processor can handle its own load much more effeciently than one processor that would become bogged down in traffic. Its not a bad idea especially if you are planning on expanding
4 Ruthenium

Never had one, but it is my understanding that you would have to be running NT or 2000.

Am I correct that Win9x does not support dual processors????
Dell Technologies

Yes, you are correct.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Does RedHat Linux support dual processors?
3 Argentum

Yes.

I'm not sure if dual processor support is enabled in a default Red Hat install or if Dell enables dual processor support when it ships a dual processor Linux box.

If dual processor support isn't enabled, you would have to recompile the kernal.

Adios!

LOOP="true" QUALITY="autohigh"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor