Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2013 11:00

Dual video for an optiplex 755 DT (Desktop)

All - I have a dell optiplex 755 desktop model and would like to upgrade to dual monitors.  Im not gaming or doing any advanced graphics, I just want the flexibility that dual monitors provide.  I do a lot of design document to development work and would love to be able to have both windows working in full screen at once.  Seems like their are plenty of monitors on slickdeals now a days.  I would like some help selecting a suitable video card to make this happen. any suggestions?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 6th, 2013 20:00

No, one was DVI and the other HDMI.

A DVI-to-HDMI or HDMI-to-DVI cable will work. In my case, both the monitors were DVI, so I used an HDMI-to-DVI cable. There are more elaborate and expensive cards with two DVI ports, but it's cheaper to use a cable such as I described.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 6th, 2013 16:00

Hi VPALLARI,

Dell offered a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT for dual monitor support on this desktop model. Unless you have the riser card, you'll need a low-profile video card. You have a 280W power supply, so that will limit your choices.

This thread has some great discussion and ideas for you.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 6th, 2013 17:00

I used a Sapphire 6570 low profile in an Optiplex 960 SFF with dual widescreen digital monitors for four months doing development. The same card is now installed in a GX620 SFF.

A 280-watt power supply is more than enough. I wouldn't be surprised if this card uses less power than the low-end cards of its day.

11 Posts

March 6th, 2013 18:00

did you run one dvi and one vga?  Id like to run both monitors DVI or both HDMI.  As you can tell, I dont know know much about video cards and, to honest, dont really want to delve into them at this point.  Since this isnt a SFF, I have a bit more room, is there anything you can recommend that might support 2 digital displays?

No Events found!