Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2013 12:00

E2210H monitor black screen

I have a E2210H monitor that I have had for 4 years working fine. Now, when I use my computer after about 15 minutes of use it blacks out, goes into power saving mode, like it hasn't been used, even though I'll be in the middle of doing something, the computer will still be on, music or video will still be playing in the background but nothing on the screen.

When I press the monitor button I get the message 'No signal coming from computer. Press any key on keyboard or mouse to wake it up. To change to another source press the monitor button again'

Moving the mouse or pressing keys has no effect like it would in power saving mode normally.

I have tried all the obvious things like restarting, checking the cables are plugged in correctly and even using a different cable (a DVI-D Single link) but it still does the same.

Any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

5 Posts

June 13th, 2013 09:00

So I opened up the box and had a look at the video card and it was exceptionally hot. The vents to it were clogged up with dust and it was overheating and cutting out, hence the black screen.

Cleared all the dust off and the tried it again, everything works normally now.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 27th, 2013 05:00

Hi AKelsall,

There are three potential issues. First, your computer may not be sending a video signal. Second, the monitor may be bad and is not displaying the signal. Third, the cable may be bad, although you have already tried another cable.

So the first troubleshooting step would be to try another monitor with your computer, if you have one. Then we can tell whether it's the monitor or the PC.

5 Posts

May 28th, 2013 01:00

Thanks you for your reply.

I'm confident it's not the cable. I'm currently working on borrowing another monitor to test this.

In the mean time, how can I test to see if it is the first potential issue, the computer not sending the video signal?

Thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 28th, 2013 10:00

As I mentioned above,  the first troubleshooting step would be to try another monitor with your computer, if you have one. Then we can tell whether it's the monitor or the PC.

5 Posts

June 9th, 2013 04:00

I've tried with another monitor, an older one with a VGA cable with an adapter to DVI-D and the same problem happens, it works for a short time then blacks out.

I take it this rules out the screen being the problem?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 9th, 2013 05:00

Yes, which points to the video card as the likely problem. Can you try running the Dell diagnostics on your video card from the F12 utility partition?

By the way, is your warranty still in effect?

5 Posts

June 9th, 2013 05:00

Tried running the diagnostics check by pressing F12 on start up but the express test cannot complete before the screen blacks out. Under custom test I tried the test for video and answered all the relevant questions but there was no errors found. The warranty ended a couple of years ago.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 9th, 2013 07:00

Time to replace that video card, I think.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 13th, 2013 17:00

Good to hear.

No Events found!