Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2011 23:00

E510 - No Sound After Installing Windows 7

Hi,

The sound on my pc is not working when I have 2.1 type speaker plugged into the integrated SoundBlaster Live! green jack on the back of the machine.

I've got an E510 (DM051 per Belarc Advisor) that originally came with Windows Media Edition.  I've installed Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit, and I also installed the chipset drivers R140595 for Vista 32 bit, since there was no selection for Windows 7.

Belarc Advisor tells me this is the audio I have, and this is also what my device manager tell me I have:

High Definition Audio Device
SB Live! 24-bit

Also, in device manager, it says device is working properly.  I did not install the driver for this device, I believe Windows did from the Windows 7 DVD.  Device Manager says the Creative driver is installed.  If I go to the Dell driver download site, there is only a selection for Sigmatel.  I thought I'd try that, but I get "Device Object not Found" when installing.

If I plug a pair of USB driven speakers into the pc, I do get sound.

What should I try next?

Thanks very much.

October 11th, 2011 01:00

I decided to check the integrated audio setting in the BIOS.  It was disabled.  Once I enabled it, it worked fine.  The Windows 7 drivers from the Win7 DVD are still in use.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 11th, 2011 04:00

The HD Audio device is a generic driver that Windows installs.  It will work but may not provide full functionality of the Dell SigmaTel driver.  There is a Vista 32 bit SigmaTel driver on the Dell downloads and you should use that to gain full functionality.

October 11th, 2011 10:00

Hi, Firebird,

As you can see, it was the integrated audio that was turned off in the BIOS.  Once enabled, all works fine.

I see you have an E510, too.  I have an E510 and an E520 (among many other Dell Dtops and Ltops).  Memory sockets went bad on the E520, so I upgraded the E510, which originally came with Windows Media Center, to Windows 7 Home Premium.  That's when I noticed the sound didn't work, and finally diagnosed it to a BIOS setting.

I'd have to get a new mobo to get the E520 working again.  I found a used one on eBay for $85 with the processor and 2GB RAM, but decided that since I really didn't need to get the E520 back up, I wouldn't.

Can you tell me, do you have integrated sound on your E510?  If so, what type?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 11th, 2011 10:00

I have the stock SigmaTel integrated on my E510.  I used it for a while with XP Media Center and then when I upgraded to Vista 32 bit.  As I do other audio work (I have a computer based recording studio), I installed a Sound Blaster Audigy SE, as it has the "What You Hear" (System Mixer) function that I needed.  I used the E510 for recording until I built a new system with a Q6600 CPU.  The E510 is now relegated to a "backup" system.  

I do a lot of audio support on the forum.  The Dell SigmaTel driver is the best one.  As I noted the generic "HD Audio" that Windows installs will work but we have found from posts here and on the windows 7 forum that it may not provide full functionality and in some cases does not work period.  There is also "IDT" drivers around but they too do not work or work correctly.  IDT bought SigmaTel a couple years ago and rebranded it as IDT, but the IDT drivers are for a later version of the SigmaTel chip.  Integrated audio is a vendor specific item as SigmaTel (IDT) only basically provides the IC chips and the motherboard vendor (or in this case the Dell specs) determines how or what features will be available.  Thus a SigmaTel on an Intel motherboard for example may be (and is) different than the SigmaTel on a Dell custom motherboard (the E510 motherboards were made by Foxconn for Dell).  I know the Intel SigmaTel is different as I tried to install the Intel SigmaTel drivers and they installed but the sound would not work.   We have had others try SigmaTel drivers from other PC vendors and the same problems.

1 Message

October 13th, 2011 04:00

my compter is saying my volume is working but its not

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 13th, 2011 04:00

Uniqueme48, this does not pertain to this thread.  You need to start a new thread, include your PC model Number, Operating System and more info on your problem.  

Normally we do not look at resolved threads, so posting a new problem (hijacking a thread) is not the way to do it on this forum.

No Events found!